Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soundoholic, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Here is the plan-

Wireless->Rack Tuner->Sansamp RBI, in the sansamp effects loop(sansamp Bass DI, Boss Bas Overdrive, Boss Bass Chorus, Boss Bass Synthesizer, to a presonus rackmount bluemax compressor). The sansamp would then go to my poweramp and act as a DI.

I have never used an effects loop before and am wondering if in this chain would the RBI be feeding the effects or would the effects be feeding the RBI?? Also, is this a good idea? Is this setup going to hinder the compressor, because I alway thought the comp should be at the end of the chain or is it in this situation....?... I am confused...

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Argh! Beware he boss bass synth!

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Put the synth first in the loop. I'd also run the compressor before the RBI.

Conventional wisdom puts compressors before distortion devices or tracking devices like octavers and synths. Rationale is that these devices are sensitive to dynamics - you want to keep signal strength within the "sweet spot" of these boxes and a compressor helps keep it there.

4. Thanks for the help. I think I'm getting an idea of where to start.

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The RBI's effects loop is WAAAAAY to hot for ground effects, it is made for line level stuff only... Beleave me i know... Just e-mail Tech21 and find out...

BUT - put the compressor in the effects loop, thats what they sugest... And so do I...

Alex

6. I'm sorry I didn't mention this before but I really never use my Boss Bass synth. It's really not an issue right now.

Tecx your suggesting I put the compressor after my effects while Chris is suggesting that I put the compressor before my effects. This is confusing.

From the reading I've been doing on this website and others it makes sense to me for me to go Compressor then effects. I think I will try the compressor and the effects with and without the effects loop and see what I think. The problem is my rig is always on the road and I have a hard time toying with it.

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I dunno man, compressor before effects is kida wierd... It takes away all the nuances in your playing, and if the effects respond to dynamics, FORGET it.. Try out both...

Alex

8. Out of all the stuff that I have tried from suggestions here at TB. Doing everything seems to be the right answer. I just need a week with my rig at home so I can sit down and play with it. I think I can get it in maybe a week.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, there's as much art as science to this stuff. If you like the fact that your distortion boxes make different kinds of noises depending on how hard you play (or clean up at low volume), then take the compressor out, or put it after the distortion.

Note too that some effects like auto-filters require a big attack or a wide dynamic range to function properly, so placing a compressor before those effects might be a bad idea as well.

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Exactly... :) I find it starnge how many geetar guys put there comp first specialy when they have dynamic effects... Monkey see money do I guess, and we all know them skinny strings are quite primate-ish.... :p Personaly I loved my comp after all my effects and my preamp.... (I ran a DBX 163X in my RBI's effects loop) So it was after the preamp and before the poweamp... It gave me a nice phatness to my clean tone and a nice roundness to all my fillters and fuzzes... But I have since fallen out with compression due to my last record - I love my sound clean and true... Plus I use dynamics sooooo much now, it would just get in the way...

cheers

Alex

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pedals in the effect loop are a no-no for me.
    The chorus might be ok, but synth and overdrive after the preamp ? No way.