1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another shot at the $99 AKG Wireless deal

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Marko 1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
  2. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Thanks.

I'll give it a shot.

3. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    I went in on this $99 deal a couple of weeks ago, and here's the verdict after the first open air gig experience with this unit:
    - no drop-outs, no interference
    - no audible difference between this wireless and a cable
    - after several rehearsals, practice, and the two hour gig, the battery is still good
    - this unit feels a little flimsy (like everything made of cheap light weight plastic) but once set up and put next to the amp I didn't care
    - the bug transmitter needs to get used to a bit (that's why I used this system on several rehearsals and practice before the gig)
    For $99 it doesn't get any better. I'll keep this around for a while.

4. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Good to hear. Mine should show up today.

5. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the heads-up! I bought one of these units for $200 a couple of years ago, and it's been great. I don't miss the days of tripping over cables one bit. However, I've always thought the bug seemed a little fragile, so it will be nice to have a backup if my old one breaks. Plus, I often switch basses during shows so as long as the old bug holds up, I'll be able to leave two instruments plugged in at all times.

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Plus if you have a rat fur head or cab, put a piece of velcro on the bottom of the receiver. This helps keep it in place.

7. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Works great. No issues.

Is it possible to buy extra 'guitarbugs'?

8. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
  9. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I got mine today, worked with it about an hour, called MF for an RA and sent it back. It was noisy, not very much, almost a presence..a hiss or slight buzz after each note I played. I tried it with 3 different amps and 2 basses and it was definitely the wireless. No noise with a cable, noise with the AKG.

I don't have sensitive ears (anymore ;)) and I'm sure my sound tech would of had a fit.

10. jay loren

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    I had the same issue but only when I sat right next to the receiver.
    Although the manual suggests not to get closer than 10ft to the receiver, the noises disappeared after a moved away half that.

11. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I guess that makes sense, Unfortunately I play a lot of 8-9 piece gigs and don't get much space, even on a grandstand :p.

I hind sight I really didn't need it, more of an impulse buy because of the price.

12. jay loren

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    I contacted AGK about this yesterday. They wrote back today saying that the transmitter for the new AKG WMS 40 Mini is compatible with the discontinued SR40 Flex as long as you use any of the three frequencies.
    Unfortunately, this transmitter is not available by itself - fortunately the new WMS 40 Mini system costs $99. I'm thinking of getting it as a backup but I'm still waiting for more responses from TBers in the "Wireless systems" threat http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f203/wireless-systems-834327/

13. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Got mine today, set it, put in the battery, plugged in, turned it on.... VOILA.... worked perfectly. No drama whatsoever and sounds great. I'll always have a good cord with me as a backup but for 100 beans I'm amazed.