Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Skjold in the works!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tombowlus, Jul 11, 2005.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, I admit it. I am totally hooked on Pete Skjold's basses! Some of you might have seen my thread regarding my Skjold Custom 5. Well, I just got off the phone with Pete and laid the groundwork for my Skjold Exotic Custom 4! It will be a 4-string (obviously!) with a Hipshot D-tuner for drop-D tunes. It will use the Skjold preamp and the Skjold C4 (big, MM-like pickup, which is really two of his smaller pickups under one cover, and centered in the "sweet spot").

For woods, I spent a lot of time talking to Pete about possibilities, and then my good buddy Juneau hoped over to Pete's shop to take some photos (thanks, Juneau!). Here is Pete with three of the "finalists":

[​IMG]

Up against the wall behind him is a sweet chunk of maple burl. He is holding some uniquely flamed anigre, and this awesome piece of flamed mahogany, also called "fiddleback mahogany." This photo is really the one that did it for me, as it made the mahogany just jump out relative to the other two. Pete had just picked up that piece of wood the day Juneau took the photos, and both Pete and his supplier seemed very excited about it. I can see why!

Here are two more shots of the fiddleback mahogany:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But to really appreciate this piece of wood, check out this little video that Juneau took. Or, as he says, "And now, this is the Fiddleback Mahogany taking its little turn on the catwalk!":

Mahogany on the catwalk

You can see how I am so smitten with this wood! It will grace both the front and back of my bass, as well as the headstock. The body wood will be spanish cedar (after much debate!), and Pete will incorporate two thick (3/16") veneers of flamed maple, and at least two darker veneers between the maple and the cedar (on both sides).

The neck will be a 7-piece, and we have yet to pick out the exact woods. We did spend a lot of time talking about fingerboard woods, though. After thoroughly discussing all of the tonal qualities of various options, as well as the esthetic impact, we decided upon ebony. We will also use ebony for the pickup cover, knobs, and for the neck pocket overlay. The fingerboard dots will be flame maple, and I plan on incorporating a Norse symbol (also in flame maple, and in honor of Pete's Viking heritage!) on the neck pocket overlay.

Needless to say, I will update y'all as this bass progresses!

Hopeless Skjold addict, Tom.

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The choice seemed clear to me too, and I promise I didnt influence that by my picture taking hehe. For the record, I did a vid of the anigre as well :)

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You were, in fact, very diplomatic! That mahogany just speaks for itself, though!

Thanks again! Your photos and video were an enormous help!

Tom.

4. Hello.. my name is Henry..... I too am a "Skjoldaholic". I also have one in the fold, and one on the way.

back to our regularly schedule bass thread.

DAYMN!!!!! that is going to make one super sick looking bass. Great choice. Not just the top wood, but the ebony board and cedar body should be a great combo for you.
    Pete is such a great guy to deal with, and his basses really are phenominal. Even if you don't like all the fancy tops, and thrills...... his stage series basses are one of the best values going.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    True! I was kinda leaning towards picking up a Stage 4-banger, but then I got all caught up in the madness, and suddenly it's an Exotic Custom! :p

6. Pete is truly evil....
    I was going to get just a painted 5 string fretted bass.... all of a sudden it's exotic custom as well.

I see a trend here... Pete must be stopped!!

7. You ALL are a bunch of crack-heads.... I'm glad I'm in good company! :ninja:

Tom~ You Sir are starting to make me jealous! I had to get laid off from one job to afford my Stambaugh and there are at least 3 or 4 other basses including a Skjold. I guess I have a lot of incentive to get laid off again.... :D

Congrats!

8. Tom,
    I'm excited for you! Some hard choices ahead, but any of those choices is going to be delicious.

My student has a spanish cedar body with a mac ebony board. The combination is terrific. He never has to tweak the EQ.

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...Tom, you, like I, are beyond the GAS stage...we are true "addicts" that no counseling could ever help...more power to ya!!!...

cheers & congrats,
    ~S~

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    A 4 banger...mmm, it warms my heart. Can't wait to see it!

W

11. hey tom, did i meantion to you lately that i hate you? :D

you guys have no idea how bad im acheing for one of his basses, ever since i playd one ive just got this tone in the back of my head yelling at me telling me to buy a Skjold. then i tell it im poor and it goes away for a few minutes... i know it wont be long before i give in...

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    can't wait to see this one, as it progresses.

13. I love this guy's basses. Pete Skjold you are a master. I wish I could afford one.
    :crying:

Now accepting donations for a Skjold bass :D

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Keep in mind for anyone interested in a "Skjold on a budget", his Stage series offer an exceptional bass for the money. The retail price on the web page for a 5 string Stage is $2,000, but I know that he will actually sell you one for a good bit less. He might even have some "demo" models that you could pick up for a song.

Personally, I think that it is amazing that you can get a custom made bass of that quality for the price he sells his Stage series for. But then again, considering what you often pay for all the "upgrades", his Custom series is also quite the value.

More photos to come soon, I believe (right, Juneau?). :D

Tom.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Okay, the top, back, and laminates have all been glued, and the rough cut of the body is done. Here are some shots of the initial stages of my new Exotic Custom 4 (courtesy of Juneau, as always!:D). You can also see the ebony fingerboard, which Pete put in the picture for a little persepective.

[​IMG]

In these two shots, you can see a bit more of what the spanish cedar body wood adds to the equation/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a shot of the back.

[​IMG]

The coloration of the mahogany is a bit more ruddy than it looked from the other photos, but I think it provides even more contrast to the ebony. I am really excited by the look of the cedar, too. I wasn't sure what to expect, there. And the flame maple veneers really add a lot, I think.

Thanks again, Juneau!!!

Tom.

16. Really gorgeous mahogany Tom! With that combo of woods, it should warm up the sound a fair amount. However, the electronics are so "alive" sounding, you should get a very beefy sound with lots of "girth".

Do you know how far along the bass will be by the time of the GTG?

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I am hoping for a huge, burly sound, but with lots of clarity. I highly doubt that I will be disappointed! :p

No idea, but I expect a full report if you go! :D

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    great choice of woods my friend! that is gonna look stellar!

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Another beautiful Tombowlus bass. I hear Pete's talking about putting a shop in your basement! Then the big issue among Skjold players will be what's better the Texas (early Skjolds) or the Freemont models after Tom B. bought them out? I have a feeling the Texas stuff will be better. Union labor will screw up the Freemont stuff :p

20. You can count on that my friend! It's threads like these that really get a guy starting to count his pennies in his piggy bank.

I'm actually really impressed at how quickly Pete has cut your bass Tom. The sanding and gloss finish always take a while, but he seems to have come out of the starting gate with a sprint.