1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another somewhat simple question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DumbChild, Apr 24, 2006.

1. As far as i know most rock basslines are composed of 8th or 16th notes. (Quavers and Semi-Quavers, i believe)Feel free to correct me if it is infact not. Anyway the past week ive been standing her playing to a drum beat increasing from bout 100 to 300. I can keep up playing 4ths and 8ths. However i have no idea how u count 16ths in your head. I can play them at about 120 max, but im practicing that now so i should be able to increase my ability soon. But yea i was just wondering how you count 16ths in your head, or out loud whatever. Cause at the moment i can play them at some very slow beats, but id be lost if i was trying to work out what bar i was in. Any other tips on this would be greatly appreciated. Appologies for the newb like questions:p, i just find that u guys know what ur talking about and it saves me searching for the answer. Thanks again

2. 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a..

3. Cheers^^

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Once you start get comfortable DON'T count them! Though it's necessary to start off with, I'd recommend stopping as soon as possible.

Count the 1,2,3,4 and let the other notes fall between. Over counting can really flatten your groove.

It's amazing how different a apparantly identical 8th or 16t notes can be, and you need to be able to let your timing breathe to accomodate this - nothing clever, but just listening to the music and fitting in. My band covers stuff like Deep Purple, AC/DC, Judas Priest and Saxon which can go for DAYS on one note, but I bet I could tell them appart from one bar of 8th notes on A.

Practise playing all the notes evenly. Then practise emphasising every other one, every four, every 8.

Ian

5. So start off practicing by counting the notes but then cut back and only count the 4 beats. So by the end of all this i want to count 1,2,3,4 for everything (wether it be 8th, 16th ect) but play accordingly?

6. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    exactly

7. ah i see the light. Thanks^^