1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Squarepusher gear thread...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pmcd, Apr 3, 2006.

1. pmcd

pmcd Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO
    I know this has been thoroughly discussed,but I saw yet another Squarepusher live video clip,here...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rOCD8TmJt_A

I still can't figure out how he is making some of these sounds. Does he have a midi pickup on there?? How is the pitch and the ring mod sound being affected simultaneously??

I've seen several posts on this subject with blatantly wrong info,and some that seem closer to to whats going on. What is he doing!?!?! Someone help me figure it out...

2. Man, I have no idea, all I see is a laptop, a truck load of other equipment, probably a sequencer and numerous other doo-dads and thingamajigs and a lot of button pushing and knob tweaking going on for not a very musical (or IMO interesting) result.

Don't get me wrong, cool to see someone pushing the limits, but when it gets to that "performance art" stage it's kinda asking a bit much of the crowd to stay connected with it.

See the people in the audience attempting to dance to the broken rhythms, then standing there, looking at their buddies all confused, then screaming "WOO, YEAH!" coz they don't know what else to do?

At one point there's a delay on the verge of feedback combined with other effects... got that much!

3. funk_dat_jazz

funk_dat_jazz

Mar 10, 2006
    your a bass player not a dj:rolleyes:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

IG NOR ANT

It's called making music... being a musician, not "being a bass player." Give it a shot sometime. :rolleyes:

5. It'd be a pretty darn boring Squarepusher gig if he only did the "bass player" aspect for a whole set!

6. pmcd

pmcd Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO

+1

You beat me to the response.

7. funk_dat_jazz

funk_dat_jazz

Mar 10, 2006
    i never said he was bad its just that he annoys me because you try and listen to what hes groovin with and all you can hear are little bleeps and noises that hurt my ears

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Funk DAT!

... right ... ?

9. You might like it better if you heard a better recording. These are pretty awful. You still might not like it, but his actual recordings are much better than this.

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    why not both?

monkeyxx likes this.
  11. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    ive never heard squarepusher, heard loads about him

i liked that video, though it was interesting

ive got a headache now though

12. That tends to be the effect of pretty much everything he's done after Music Is Rotted One Note. "Drill-and-bass" is definitely an appropriate term--it leaves one with the feeling of getting a cavity filled!

The late-'90s Warp sound is totally played out, but I can still listen to pretty much everything that Amon Tobin has ever done. I can't say that for Mr. Jenkinson.

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I liked the first half, even though it was just him "wanking" ;) on the bass and using a wah :bassist:. It still sounded rather musical... But then it sucked. I don't even think "drill" describes it right!

14. pmcd

pmcd Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO
    definetly not just "using a wah"...

Anyone who has a knowledge of his gear care to chime in?? Please?

15. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    You may not get the music, but Squarepusher is a phenomenal bass player, despite his unusual approach to sonic exploration, with an unparalleled knowledge of what he's playing onstage.

In short, try not to be so narrow minded as to put him down after listening to that clip without hearing any of his recordings, it seems a futile and mundane approach to judging one's musicality...possibly even 'ignorant' as Matt Till noted...

16. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Sorry, I forgot to answer the question :rolleyes:

Tom's got a Midi pickup fixed in his 6 String triple pickup Corvette, that he uses to trigger a lot of really quite mad sounds.

17. pmcd

pmcd Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO
    Thanks! That is one piece of the puzzle.

18. funk_dat_jazz

funk_dat_jazz

Mar 10, 2006
    thanks ill see what i can find

19. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    can you feel the love tonight?

20. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not really. No less so than other responses.

See music in general, and in this instance playing bass, is art. Art is a form of expression, plain and simple no less so than talking.

The thing is, the form of expression is very subjective in it's interpretation (just like language, sculpture, painting, etc). It is no less "IG NOR ANT" of someone to say "It's called making music" as it is for some to say "your a bass player not a dj". It is equivilent someone liking folk art and disliking modern art and visa versa.