1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another string recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by sevenyearsdown, Nov 28, 2017.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I've been playing either gut, or synthetics basically the entire time I've played DB (8 years). Due to chronic health problems, I have to stay with lower tension strings. Steel strings are out of the question. With gut/synthetic tension, I can play for hours without issues.

However I'm looking to transition into a bit darker of a tone if I can, and I'd like to find a string that's going to settle a bit quicker. It feels like my playing it starting to surpass my current string choice if that makes any sense. I'm currently playing on Innovation Golden Slaps, and they just aren't doing it for me. I don't want to go back to gut for a variety of reasons.

My first thought is to try Velvet Garbos again. It's been years, but I remember them being softer on the left hand, closer in gauge to gut, and they sounded like a cannon going off on my old bass. I might appreciate them more now that I'm not such a noob.

I've tried the Evah slaps and didn't care for them. Obligatos weren't for me either.

Open to suggestions.....

2. Downtuned solo gauge steel strings, like Kaplans?
    Jargar Dolces?

3. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I have Evah mediums on both of my basses for the E and A string. Never tried the Evah slaps. Not sure how different they are. I have tried Oliv E and A - too dark! - I like the Lenzner E and A but I have been breaking the A string since it is plain gut at the knot. I do slap quite a bit and the Evahs medium for E and A is my favorite.

I have also tried Evah weich on the E and A - little too thin of a gauge for me. You are welcome to try them. You might like them.

I didn't like any of the innovation strings I've tried or Garbos - FYI

As for the D/G - I have tynex wrapped gut strings on both of my basses. One set is Red-O-Ray and the other is unknown. But I love them! I wish people would make more of them. I'll post a pic of both of my basses.

I also have some plain gut red dyed - Red-O-Ray strings you can borrow to try.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I've enjoyed Zyex Lights for a few years now. Easy on the chops, sustain and growl and bowable.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  5. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    My experience with Garbos is similar to yours. Have you considered Eurosonics? In my limited experience, nothing's easier on the hands, though Innovation Super Silvers run a close second.

6. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I have tried them. I'd like to steer to a more complex sound.

7. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    For a dark, meaty sound right of the pack, you might want to check the new Innovation polychromes. Soft feel under the left hand, medium to medium-low tension. They bow like a champ and render a very solid pizz.

Less sustain and growl than Spiros or even Evah weich, but maybe enough for your needs.

I’ve played Evah weichs a lot and I like them a lot - but I like these better.

TroyK, ColdEye, lrhbass and 1 other person like this.
  8. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Are steel strings out of the question for reasons other than tension? What about something like a downtuned solo string?

9. ColdEye

ColdEye

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I liked kaplan solos when i used them with gut. Very easy on the hands.

10. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Day 2 with the Polychromes, with Eva weich on the E..will probably add E soon.
    They sound good and feel nicer than the Eva w. Which seem to be getting stiffer with age.

Selim and sevenyearsdown like this.
  11. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Tension, and for the most part a I hate the tiny gauges and stiffness. Feels like starting over with my left hand when compared to softer, fatter strings.

12. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    I'm trying hard not to run out and buy a set of Polychromes. EP weichs are my go-to strings, but the reviews of these sound phenomenal!

13. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Ok. I understand what you mean about the thinness of downtuned solos. I tried the Velvets on a friend's bass once. They might be up your alley. Dark, low tension, large string diameter.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  14. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    The medium tension listing of the Polychromes scares me a little. I wish that Innovation published their tensions. Because of my health issues, I just can't tolerate much anything higher than gut style strings.

15. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    You might do well with Garbos or even Garbo lights. They can be very loud and as close to gut as it gets sonically after initial playing in -perioid, and they have fantastic left hand feel. They come with a couple of downsides as every other string, those for me are the bowability of D and G and something about the wrap that wears my right hand pizz fingers.

16. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  17. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    The Evah weich/polychrome combo made for a looser feeling set than the full set of polychromes. Which I liked. But then you're back to dealing with the lower dynamic ceiling of the Evahs. The polychromes don't seem to have that problem.

18. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Have you tried Obigatos? These are still one of my favorite all-around sets. Lower tension and thicker gauge than steel, nice growl and sustain for pizzicato and nice for arco too. I find they last as long as any other synthetic core string.

- Steve

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Selim likes this.
  19. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Evah solo also worth a look. They are not thin as some other solos.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  20. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm reviving this thread, because Evah broke my heart. I tried a full set of Evah Weichs, and loved the tone. However my left hand could not handle them. I dropped my string height considerably, gave them an honest shot, and they absolutely killed my left hand...then arm..then shoulder. With a dead arm I had to change back to Innovations as I have a gig tomorrow. My right arm was fine though.

Even with a dead chicken wing, I was able to practice on the Golden Slaps today for a couple of hours without much trouble.

So I need to try something else. It's getting frustrating because I just can't get guts or synthetics to give much higher up. I can't get the articulation I need out of them, and it's making me not want to play much. I enjoy woodshedding much more than I do gigs, and I want to continue to progress. Strings versus my physical limitations are working against that right now.

Gimme some more ideas here. Velvet Garbos, Blues? A different Innovation?