another 'stuck between the p and j'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwig, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    christmas is approaching...and im getting a new fender (MIM) but i cant decide between the precision and the jazz..right now i have a squier p-bass..but everytime i see a p-bass i want it, and everyime i see the jazz i want it.

im definatly going to spend a saturday afternoon trying them out as much as possible befor buying, but i just can't decide.

anyone else been in this situation? and what made you pick the one you did?

i was also considering an ibanez srx500, they look quite smooth and have got good reviews, anyone tried one?
    comparable to a fender?
  2. Get a Deluxe Active Jazz. American Deluxe Vintage Noiseless pickups. Very versatile. Classic J sound and can get p-ISH(!).
  3. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    The pee bass of course. The jazz is for sissies.

J/k Maybe the jazz, you can always get a new pup for your squire, bring it back to life.
  4. he said he's getting a MIM...he didnt ask wether which series he was goin to get, simply a p or J....

my opinon...a jazz, you aleady have a p, meybe get a seymour duncan quarter pounder for your p, the jazz's are more versatile, and sound better for slap applications as well......

other than the fender, id see the soundgear 400, not the extreme, just the plain soundgear, that way you have the p/j config
  5. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    thanks alot.
    btw, has anyone played / owned an srx500.. is it comparable to a fender, that neck seems like heaven.
  6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a SRX400 and a MIM Fender Jazz. The SRX400 has an even slimmer neck than the MIM Fender Jazz. I thought I really loved the SRX400 (Ibanez for that matter) necks until I gave the Fender Jazz a chance. After I played the Fender Jazz, I now think the Jazz is more comfortable and fits in my hand better (and I'm not a big guy).

The only thing that made me go back to the Ibanez SRX400 was my Jazz popped a strap button. Darn. So now I'm temporarily going back to the SRX400 makes me feel like the neck is a slight bit too small, but my band immediately felt the difference between the Jazz neck pickup and the SRX400 humbucker pickup. They missed the huge BOOM sound of the humbucker. So now I'm off to find something that could satisfy my Jazz feel and the BOOM I need.

I'm thinking about (GASP!) a Fender American Precision Deluxe. P-bass pickup and a humbucker. The band and I agree that the neck pickup on the Jazz had a nice tone, but not enough oomph. So...what's a guy to do?

7. Well you've got the P; get a Mex. Jazz or Deluxe...uless you want to spend some money on a 'feel' that you're used to. In that case, I'd get the '62 reissue P - great neck!
  8. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Get the Jazz! You won't regret it. Also check out the Tribute by G&L. Much more bass than the MIM Fender and has authentic USA G&L MFD, handwound pickups with extreme output. If you are not familiar with G&L, they were the last creation of the bass creator. It would be worth your time to atleast play the L2000. Good luck........
  9. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I was in the exact same dilemma as you. (But the J wasnt involved, Mex P or SRX500 only) and I got the SRX.

Why? Cos I wanted a different, modern sounding bass that I could keep and I knew would last. MY first bass was also a Squier P, and I was slightly sick of Ps by then.

In the end, I saved and got a USA P, so now I have the best of both worlds.
  10. Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I own both a Squier P-Bass (Mine has a 1/4lb SD pup), and a standard Jazz, and Its a very good combo. I'm very happy with the two because I'm a total Fender-Monkey :bassist: