Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another stupid question about scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by junior, May 14, 2001.

1. junior

junior

May 6, 2001
    Austin, Tx
    I recall a link to activebass concerning diagrams for scales. I found some diagrams for aeolian major and minor chords that show one note per fret through the scale. Pretty simple stuff. But when I went to activebass, the scales show dots all over the place on the fret board.. What the heck am I missing. I admit I'm real green at bass playing, but can anyone help. Is it better to go buy that scale book from Steve Hall and Rob Manus or just fork out the cash for professional help?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Let me explain the dots and the patterns. The black dots are the intervals of the scale you choose. The red dots are the root and octave. The number below the strings tells you what fret position the pattern is played.

Each scale is shown in five different positions. So if you have a scale...say C blues scale, the pattern doesn't always start with C. In some positions the pattern starts with another interval of the scale.

In other words, each position has all the notes of that scale in that position. Plus, it is good to know all the different places on the fretboard you can play the scale you choose.

If you buy the "Scales and Modes" book by Manus and Hall, you will see exactly the same thing, dots on frets and strings in five positions. However, the book also has the scale in standard notation and tab. It gives you the "formula" for each scale, both in intervals and in whole and half step pattern. It aslo gives an actual riff for each scale and tells you what chords are used with the scale.

It is always a good idea to have a teacher orient you, but having the Hall and Manus book is an excellent reference as well. The Active Bass.com web site is useful too, if you understand what they are doing. Trouble is, you can't always have a computer handy, but the book is portable.

I hope have I explained the dots. If you have any further questions, I will try to answer or some one else here will be able to help you, I am certain.