Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another SWR 'stella query from a gear-starved Adelaidian!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FbassDave, Jan 20, 2006.

1. FbassDave

FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    What are the odds of that, eh?

Anyway, I'm actually for purchasing one of these beauties from a kind gentleman in the states, but there's one problem: It's one of the older blue/black faced models and as far as I'm aware, it is not voltage switchable via an internal switch. It also uses a hard-wired power cord as opposed to the generic computer style cord popular with most gear today.

As I understand it, the 'stella will draw significantly more wattage due to the EL84 power tube integral to the design, which makes the standard 110/120v to 230/240v coversion (by way of those wallwart things you can buy) unuseable with this particular preamp.

SO... is it true that the older ones are not internally switchable? Would a replacement transformer even fit in a 1U rack space? Can I be bothered carrying around a stepdown transformer heavier than the unit itself to be able to use it?

Any assistance would be appreciated muchly... :)