1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another SX for me ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, May 9, 2006.

1. Well -

After my successful SX Jazz bass experiment (Remember the Electric blue one with the Black Pearloid Pickguard?), I've decided to buy another one.

sb35tbu5.

I have always been intrigued by this bass and a fellow TB-er had one for sale cheap, so I snapped it up. I am dying to know what this bass will sound like with some upgraded pups & pots.

It has the same general form factor (string spacing/neck width/weight) as my Ibanez SR505, which I like a lot. I am thinking (hoping?) that this bass will eventually be the answer to the question; "What if Ibanez made an SR505 with an MM/J configuration."

Any thoughts/input? I'd love to hear it!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What pups are you thinking of puttin in?

3. Figgy -

I don't know yet. For the MM, maybe a Bart or Nordie -- for the J, probably a SD Jazz Stack.

It depends on what kind of deal I can score -- either here or on the Bay.

Do you have any suggestions?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What type of tone are you after?

5. Bright, Hard-edged, slap-happy, MM-ish.

My SR505 has a very smooth tone -- I want this bass to be the polar opposite.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id stay away from barts then. They tend to be smooth,woody,and not exactly bright or hot.

There are a lot of options for the MM pup,depending on the size and if itd be a direct replacement. I dont have enough experience with essex to know the dimensions.

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I'd like to hear an Audere preamp w/ the stock pups 1st. Then maybe some SD basslines.
    Perhaps you'll like it stock. It's just too cheap to leave stock, ain't it?

8. Really? That's interesting b/c the SR505 with the Bart soapbars has a much harsher (to my ears) sound than my 505 with the DX's. Granted the DX's also have a softer output so that could be a factor in how my ears/brain process the difference in tone.

This bass is gonna have a bastard sound anyway if I put an SD stack in the neck position and a bright MM in the bridge position. I find the SD stack to be a very smooth souning pup -- but I want the stack to avoid SC hum. All that said, I will probably be playing this bass with the bridge pup soloed anyway.

ROFL!

Exactly -- somehow, that would be just too prudent and easy! :D :rollno: :D

9. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Nice score man. I hear SD makes a real nice MM pup, ya might want to check them out. Im also dying to hear what that bass sounds like with upgraded pups and pots. The body wood is alder correct?

10. Thanks!

Believe it or not, it's ash!

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    My thoughts exactly. Audere with stock, and then Audere with Basslines/other pickups. I'd definitely recommend wiring the J pickup with a Ser/Par switch, and the MM pickup with a Ser/Par/SC switch. That plus the Z switch will no doubt give you tons of tonal options. I'll be watching this project.

Oh BTW, Great looking bass!

12. Um ... Fellas ...

I did some checking and the Audere pre is $170! :eek:

In case I didn't mention it, this is an "on the cheap" project -- that pre costs more than the bass --- new!

I'll make it better than it is but I'll do it "real economical-like" :cool:

13. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    and a Barker bass costs how much? Is there something a Barker doesn't cover that all your other basses are needed?
    What fun is it to put a decent pre- in a $$$$ bass when the same sound can be had for $$$

14. I'm not sure what you're asking. Say again?

15. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Maybe your clout got you your Barker for free but others will have to pay $3500. Does it cover all the bases so to speak?What's another $170 for a preamp to get the sound you're after no matter what the bass originally cost?

16. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    i'd like to hear those wired passive and in series:D

17. I had typed out a very lengthy reply explaining my reasoning, motives, and thought process for buying/upgrading the SX. All of a sudden, I realized that a long answer isn't necessary -- a short answer will do.

Short answer: I'm not going to spend $170 for a preamp for this particular bass. :D

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's not an SX, is it? It's a "Douglas" or a "Brice" methinks. Different manufacture, notably superior to SX.

I'd play it a while before dumping money into it if it were mine.

19. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I may have a Bart MK1 preamp available in a couple of weeks when I get a Lakland/Hanson in my 55-01. PM me if you are intetrested. It's quite bright and snappy.

In other options, you can get second hand Aggie opb1's around here fairly often.

20. Eilif -

That's exactly what I was thinking. :smug: