Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another take on the Rickenbacker 4001, The StingRick

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Blazer, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    The best thing about being a luthier is that you always get interresting people in thw orkshop and they always have interresting instruments they either want to sell or want to have repaired.

Having said that, somebody once came up to me and went "Hey man, you repair guitars don't you? Well I happen to have something lying around that'll surely raise your interrest." I went along with him and he handed me the carcass of a 1976 Lawsuit Rickenbacker copy made by Ibanez, seeing the possibilities I asked him how much he wanted to have for it, I payed him the 50 bucks he asked and took it home.

Just today I took it to the workshop and lovingly restored her to playing condition, but since it came without it's original pickups I instead installed a Basslines Musicman pickup and electronics, and as it turns out, it was a match made in heaven, it has that raunchy Rickenbacker Thud and sustain combined with the Toppy snap of a stingray, when posting this I have sore fingers of playing the old girl almost non stop.

I'll post pictures of the bass as soon as i have them

2. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Here's a modified picture of an existing Rickenbacker 4000 bass which gives you an impression on what my bass looks like, my bass looks similar save for body bindings and a black color.

As you see I left the route for the pickup open, it actually prooved a handy place to put my thumb in when playing.

[​IMG]

3. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    It took me a while but here it is.