Another "Talkbass Crazyass Car" Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 12, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since so many of us like things that get us into trouble, (like big amps or too many basses), have you all checked out the Lotus Elise ???

This thing is not crazy expensive and performs like the nutz!!!!.......(like, "Where to drive it???"). Test drove one last weekend at an exotic car restorer who did a car for me one time, and it was more than a chicken like myself could handle! It was about the tiniest thing you've seen --- smaller than a Miata.

It's relatively reasonable at $39k US.

The acceleration, 0-60 @ a neck-snapping, 4.9 seconds is faster than a Vette/Porsche Boxster/Beemer Z4/3.0/Mazdaspeed Miata.

I loved the old Lotus Esprit, even if it was in the shop every other week. Maybe, just maybe, Lotus is back!

Lotus Elise

link for specs -
  2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I ain't afraid of it ... except for the insurance payment ...

3. i LOVE the Lotus Esprit...Isn't the Esprit a V8 turbo?!?! :eek:
  4. rickbass

Depends on the model/year/options, Nick.

A friend of mine had one in the early 80's when Lotus finally let the engine "breath" - a turbocharger was finally added to the Esprit's 4-banger engine sometime around then.

I remember an old "Road and Track" mag saying that this made the Esprit's performance quicker than the Ferrari 308GTB and Porsche 911 SC.

Hell, I had a Triumph TR-4A IRS, (made by Rootes Group), with a "lowly" 4-banger. That was so crazy, a brother of a friend flipped his, broke his neck and died, even though he had roll bars on the seats!!!
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's a cool lookin' ride man.
  6. rickbass

WHAT "insurance," Thor???

I don't think the driver is going to be around to worry about it anyway! :eek: I think Matchbox cars were bigger!
  7. MAN, that thing couldnt even hold enough cargo for a trip to the grocery store. is attractive though... :bag:
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I am reminded (again) of my (much) younger years. I had a Barracuda that was ridiculously fast. I traded up from that to a Chevelle that was even faster. It didn't do great in the turns, but no American-made car back then did. So anyway I had just given up my 'Cuda for a Chevy that was even quicker and thought I was hot poo.

Until I encountered an acquaintances Triumph TR8. It looked about the same as the much more common and not very fast TR7. You know the one. A ragtop that looked suspiciously like a doorstop. But the TR7 had a little iron 4-banger in it. The TR8 had an aluminum V8. It weighed about as much as the four cylinder in the TR7, but it put out something like four times the horsepower. And Allens' TR8 was modified up from there. That thing would go like a scalded cat. I really hated seeing him coming.

He called it his Porsche killer...and Chevy killer...and Mustang killer. Whatever you showed up withthat you thought was fast, his Triumph was the fill-in-the-blank killer.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I can relate, having owned a 'Cuda as well.

There was a motorhead in my town who used to
    race for 20's. He had a highly modified VW with a
    rear engine V8 installation, (instead of a back seat).

He always found some sucker in a SS to clean out.
    Or a BOSS 302.

He was a true testament to vocational training.

I am positive I could get at least 2 basses into the
    passenger seat of this Lotus.

I may have trouble selling the concept of this new
    mode of transportation to my wife, :meh:
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Smaller than a Miata? Damn, my dad has a sueprcharged Miata, things tiny, but flys.
  12. nat

Mar 24, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I think I'll keep my Z28. :)