Another thread about series pickup wiring, this time regarding a P and a J pickup!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JohnArnson, Aug 16, 2019.

1. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    I realize that there have been a couple of threads lately already about series and parallel wiring of pickups, but that is actually what got me thinking if I could possibly benefit from wiring the P and J pickup in in my P/J bass in series.

I also realize that this will be highly objective and depend a lot on the specific pickup models as well, but then let me elaborate a bit on which pickups I have installed and how I generally prefer my tone.

Current I have my P/J set of EMG Gezzer Butler pickups wired directly to the output of my bass in parallel with no cab or resistor in between, since I never used any other settings than both pickups full on and the tone all the way up, and happens to like the extra high frequency content I get from this as well.

So as you probably figured out I like a tone with a fair share of bite and grind, and other than that I more than compensate for the mid loss that is associated with having two pickups run full on in parallel by boosting just about every mid band that is on my amps 9 band graphic EQ, that is 200Hz, 400Hz, 800Hz and 1,5KHz, with the 200Hz band getting the biggest boost, 800Hz just slightly bellow that, 1,5Khz just slightly lower than the 800Hz band, and the 400Hz band slightly below that, finally I also boost the 100Hz band ever so slightly and the 3KHz band just a bit more than that.

All in all giving me a quite snappy mid heavy tone with a fair share of higher frequency bite, and a nice touch of grind, but still without it in any way sounding weak or thin, even if it is definitely not in any way a tone that is heavy on low frequency content.

And that is pretty much how I prefer the tone of my bass.

However there is likely still room for improvements, like for instance not having to to use my amp's EQ section so excessively to get what I like, as well as I wouldn't mind my tone being even a tad more aggressive than it already is and also having a bit more pronounced punch.

So what should I expect if I wire my series split coil P pickup in series with my stacked J pickup directly to the output of my bass, except higher output?

Would I likely get a more aggressive, more punchy and/or more mid heavy, tone, all which I wouldn't mind, though I realize that would most likely require of me to readjust the EQ settings on my amp completely, or would I likely just end up with a way too boomy and muddy tone, seriously lacking higher frequency definition, and with absolutely no traces of any bite and grind?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I find split coil P pickups in series with any other pickup to not sound so good. It's a series wired pickup already, and putting in series again makes the tone rather dark and dull.
    2 lower/vintage wind single coil pickups in series sounds great, though.

JohnArnson likes this.
  3. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Just had to check if was a possible way for me to perhaps give me an even better tone, even if I am actually quite satisfied with my current one.

Guess it was really more curiosity than anything that got me to write this thread.

But from what you are saying it seems like it would not be a very desirable configuration.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    It's a cheap and easy experiment--just a push/pull pot or DPDT switch and it's off to the races.
    Don't let my experience stop you, it may work and sound great for your needs. Best part--if it's just OK sounding at best, the switch or push/pull can remain and not be in the way, ready for that time when the tone is appropriate.

JohnArnson and fig like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022