1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another thrift shop table

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scott French, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Very nice, what did you pay for it, if you dont mind me asking. Maby i should frequent salvation more often if your finding stuff like this!

2. Where did you get that? It is beautiful, also what kind of wood it is? Kind of looks like maple.

lowsound

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    :eek:

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    whoa! nice find!

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    ok i can understand how you know this is burl, but you dont go around buying table tood just like that right... how do you know its not a veneer? (or rotting inside)

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No way that's a veneer. Look at it. It's about 1/2 of a full burl.

7. Scott French

Scott French Dude

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Linas, It wasn't cheap! I would need to sell off a few sets if I wanted to make back the money I paid for it.

iamlowsound, I got it at the Auburn, CA Salvation Army. I'm not really sure what wood it is. Could be maple but it feels a little soft. It could also be myrtle but honestly I have no idea! It was made in Redding, CA and I would guess it was made from a local wood.

ehque, You can usually tell when something is veneered. I've found burly pianos that were only veneers, you just have to look at edges and you can usually tell. I was wondering about this thing for a while because some of the burl is so nice it looks almost fake.

BurningSkies, its really only a slab about 2.75-5 inches thick. The other stuff is just a base that is connected with fiberglass then painted black.

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I finally got the first set from this thing cut up today. I'm pretty sure at this point that it is buckeye burl. The wood is incredibly light and looks just like a giant buckeye slice I saw at someone's house.

buckeye1tb.

buckeye2tb.

9. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Lookin' good. I'm glad you're making that into an instrument... it was a hideous table ;)

10. Absolute 100% California buckeye, Scott