Another Thunderfunk happy camper!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rok51, Aug 18, 2005.

1. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Just got my TF550 last night...five minutes after a power sweat-fire up the standby generator and rock! Immediate impression? This thing is SO conservatively rated, it's insane. This is one LOUD amplifier! I play with a pair of GS112s. Using Dave's "let's play with the semi-parametrics"...I found that the Aguilar is honest about the frequency response of these cabs on the low started to really happen just under 40 hz. I haven't had time to really tweak the semi-parametrics yet, but the enhance is a nice touch...just as it was on my SWR. The 'timbre', however, knocked my socks off! To my mind, it is absolutely unbelievable that one knob can so dramatically effect the sound of an amplifier. All of my basses are three band active and more on the 'clear' sound palette than 'dark'. I didn't venture much past 12 o'clock on the timbre...dialing it back was truly amazing! I have never heard any solid state amp sound so 'tubey'! I have been accused of being excessively anal about certain tonal 'artifacts' that I have noticed on some amplifiers...I am guilty as accused. On the TF...I also heard 'artifact'...this time it wasn't the was the strings on my bass! Talk about clear! Normally I use a pair of GS112s-and will continue to do so. For yuks, I disconnected one cab-gotta love having two Speakon outputs on a head!-yes, there was the expected drop in volume. What was different was the fact that the TF would drive one GS112 to volume levels I had not experienced...even with my PLX1602. Friends and neighbors...this is a happenin' amp!
    Looking forward to giggin' it tomorrow and Saturday!

Another thing: kudos to Dave and his trade-in policy. I really wasn't about to buy an new amp (honest, honey!). Dave's trade-in policy was all that he said it would be...he offered what I could have expected to get from eBay-without the wait. That's what made me jump on a new Thunderfunk-NOW! To get the 'mom and pop' treatment by mail order is an unusual treat. Dave steps up to the plate and gets it done.

My thanks to Dave, natch, and all the forumites that wrote of their experience with Dave's is a jewel!!

2. +1 it's strange how that head sounds so good... you just plug it in and go.... maybe not the most amazing head for the guys that compare in a 'test' situation playing alone and A/Bing (which is also good input, by the way), but man... get it in a busy mix and you will love it. Light, relatively cheap and built like a tank!
  3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I agree! Love my Thunderfunk. I have the older 420 model and have never run out of headroom.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My TFB420 is definately one of my favorite pieces of gear.
  5. Thunderfunk -> Aguilar 2x12 in the house. Can I get a whoot whoot.

I just started my first serious recording project with the TF420, and it is freakin' awesome. Everything comes through. Engineer has to shelve the hi-end. If I play regular, it's pha-at. If I dig in, it's mondo agressivo.

It'll be a few months before anything's releasable, but bass sound has not caused one second of worry. Turn it on, EQ flat, preamp, master volume, and DI level to 5. Go.