Another ticket thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ericman197, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I received a ticket last night that I would just love to get out of. I was pulled over for a very minor violation (tail light). I was driving with three passengers in the car, and while I am 19 and able to have a general license, I haven't gotten around to it. As such, I received a ticket with a mandatory court appearance because I had one extra passenger in the car.

I have a great deal of respect for the police, but as one can imagine, this incident took place in a small town bordering mine. The cops in this town have been known to be... I'll say unfair. My timing was particularly poor because just last week, a bunch of kids from my town were driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol through this small town and killed an old lady crossing the street. There has always been some rivalry, but this incident added another dimension of animosity between the two groups.

I am particularly bothered by this ticket because I know that it's just an issue of formality. I've been busy with my schoolwork (4.0 biochemistry student... yeahhh great :meh: ) so I just never got around to getting my general license. Furthermore, I was only driving my sister and her friends home from this party because they had no ride, and I'd rather get in trouble than leave her and her friends with a bunch of crazy drunk fiends (yeahhhh she shouldn't have been there but I had no control over that). I tried to do the right thing, but in the end, I got pwned.

I have already listed the evidence which might help support my case, and here are the technical errors the police made:

1. My name was spelled incorrectly. My last name had two mispellings: (...leman... instead of ...elmann...).

2. The court appearance box was not hashed in. Rather, a check was placed near it but the little box itself had no mark in it.

I'm grabbing at straws, I know, but I feel that in this case it's worthwhile. If anyone has any advice that might help me get out of the ticket, or if anyone knows what type of trouble I'm going to be in, it would be greatly appreciated. If it's just a fine then it's no big deal, but if my license could be suspended/revoked... that could be a problem, as I commute to school.

PS: My family supports the PBA, and I even have one of those stickers on my car :/
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Before you do anything, go get your proper drivers license.

3. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Good suggestion, but I don't think I can do that now that I have outstanding tickets. I guess I'll try my luck anyway and see if I can anyway.
  4. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I would consider getting a lawyer. While the cost of the lawyer may be more than fines from the ticket, it will save money in the long run on car insurance. Being young, you have to pay enough for it as it is.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Just because you have been issued a ticket does not imply you have been found guilty of the infraction. That is why you must appear in court. Ofcourse, you just walk in and you are found "guilty" but that is another story.

Go get your license NOW! Then you will be able to tell the judge that you have taken care of the problem. BTW, don't tell him why you were driving unless he ask you to. If you just volunteer the info a lot of the times it comes off as just another lame excuse. If nothing else, he may reduce the fine or let you off with nothing more than a period of probation on your license.

Remember above all, you broke the law. You are the one responsible for your actions. If you are fined or whatever you'll just have to accept it as you put yourself in a position for it to happen. Sorry, but it is the truth.
  6. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks for the advice. I was annoyed at first, but at the end of the day I know I was wrong. I think a large part of the problem is that I did not know how to handle being pulled over. I tried to be friendly, but I now realize that I should've been apologetic and extremely respectful. I just don't want to lose my license or see my insurance rates double over such a minor infraction.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I do the same. I have never been pulled over for something I have not done. When I see the lights, I know I did something wrong. I've received warnings before, I've received tickets. I still treat the person with the badge the same.

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Tickets suck.

Got an improper turn violation (no signal, empty street?:scowl: ) at 2 a.m. turning off of a feeder street near the office where I work.

Long story short, I shouldn't have been getting pulled over for something like that, but the city economy is terrible and it is getting money however it can.

I did break a law. I readily admit that to myself, it's just like getting a ticket for going 3 or 4 over the limit in a small town. You know you broke the law, you just thought it wasn't a big deal, considering people are being stolen from and murdered up the street.

I smiled at the guy, gave him what he asked for, told him I was leaving work and it was an easy situation to handle.

But, court sucked. I enrolled in a driving course that was a Saturday morning affair. I work Friday and Saturday nights until 2, and class was at 8, so that sucked. 150 bucks, in the end, that I would have loved to kept.

Ces la vis. It's water under the bridge.

Don't try to weasel, you're only going to make it worse for yourself.
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio're grabbing at straws. Really, it comes down to ONE thing. Did you actually DO the violation? Sounds like yes.
    Sure it's minor, and I can't say I personally would have written it, WERE technically in violation.
  10. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Don't do the crime if you can'tdo the time brotha. You broke the law. If you get a license before your court date, apoligize to the court, admit you were wrong, enroll in a defensive driving course (or some educational driving course), the judge may feel that you are sincere enough to drop or lessen the charge. If and learn
  11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i agree with what a lot of people have said.

you broke the law.

you pay the fine.
  12. I know it varies by state, but in VA, immediate family don't count towards the underage limit of how many people you can drive. You said you exceeded it by 1, and that your sister was in the car.

Tickets do suck. I'm clean myself, but my dad recently got nailed for "evading a traffic light". I love the People's Republic of Falls Church.
  13. There are a WHOLE bunch of differnt thigns you have to watch for when you get pulled over, and you can use them to your advantage in court:

1. Was the officer physically able to see you at the time of the infraction? This is a big one for me. My father got busted for do 45 in a Volkswagen Van around a sharp corner. The cop was, in fact, unable to see him and got a "bounce" from another car going uphill. If you think the cop couldn't see you, subpeona the dashboard camera. Almost everyone has these now, and they can back your story up very well.

2. Know EXACTLY what your civil rights are. For example, when an officer pulls over a passenger vehicle with multiple occupants, he can only demand ID from the driver. He can ASK for ID from the passengers, but they DO NOT have to provide it. The cop can get angry all he wants, but unless he has a VALID reason to believe that you have a warrant out on you, he cannot demand ID.

3. Make sure you treat the officer with respect. Nothing pisses off a cop more than a smarta$$. Keep your answers respectful, short, and too the point. Don't offer up excuses immeadiatley. If he asks, tell him, but keep it short. "I'm on my way home," or "I'm going to work," will work just fine. Don't go into detail about how your curling iron was left on too long and you had to redo your hair and the kids need to get to school and you still need to run to the grocery story and....well, you get the picture.

4. Have your liscense, registration and proof of insurance immeadiatley availible when the cop asks for it. If you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find them, this will make the cop suspicious, and that much less likely to let you off with a warning.

5. Department reputations should be considered. In my area, for example, the Clackamas County Sherrifs Department has a good reputation for being nice to the people they encounter during traffic stops. On the other hand, Milwaukie City Police are known to not give a damn about you, and will write tickets for the max amount, no matter what. In a case like that, try to keep your driving in these areas to a minimum, and when you ARE in that area, stay away from the high-traffic areas, and drive EXACTLY at the speed limit. If you can, become friends with the local/county police. Not only are they nice guys (mostly,;)) but they will probably let you off if they know who you are, and are on their good list.

6. Above all, follow the rules of the road. Signal ALL of your turns/lane changes. Obey all traffic signs/lights. Don't speed. If you really aren't doing anything, you won't get busted. Yes, there are cops out there who will pull you over for DWM or DWB, and that's where you need to follow steps 1-5 very closely.

7. In the unlikely event that you ARE pulled over for something you DIDN'T do, be very observant. If you have scratch paper, write down the car number, the officers badge number, your mileage, time of day, anything and everything that pertains to what happened. This way, when you go to court, you have argue your case that much more effectively.

Well, that's all I can think of. My police schooling isn't OFFICIAL eyt, which means that while I'm taking classes in college, I'm not part of an Academy yet. Still, I think I got most of that right. It's after 1 am and I need to get to bed. See y'all tomorrow. Or today, ahh, whatever.

Rock on
    Eric, future police officer