Another tinnitus poll, please read post first.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Jan 13, 2006.

1. My ears “ring” ONLY when it gets real quiet.

100 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. My ears “ring” every now and then unexpectedly.

85 vote(s)
    33.5%
  3. My ears “ring” ALL the time!

70 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. My ears make OTHER sounds when its quiet.

7 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. My ears make OTHER sounds now and then unexpectedly.

17 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. My ears make OTHER types of sounds ALL THE TIME!!!

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    My ears ring all the time. Moreso when I've been in loud situations.

I regularly go to an audiologist and have my hearing checked. Frequency response is still top of the charts thankfully.

As such, I always have at least one pair of earplugs with me and wear them at all rehearsals and gigs. I also wear them on the road as they tune out excessive road noise. (Though I can still hear sirens and such!) If ambient noise in the office gets to be too much, in go the earplugs.

2. Larbo

Larbo

Nov 1, 2004
    This is a great topic. I've played in many different types of bands during my 50 years, rock (amplified) and accoustic groups such as orchestras and symphonic bands. I always find myself near the percussion section or drummer. Without hesitation, I can tell you that most of my hearing loss is due to uncontrolled cymbal crashing, usually by people that don't play in those sections, and always at a time that's unexpected.

While I occasionally have a ringing sound in my left ear, I have noticed that it is nearly impossible for me to engage in a conversation with "party" noise in the background.

I subscribe and encourage everyone to use hearing protection, and work hard to restrain those who don't know what they're doing when using percussion equipment.

Good stuff Mcrelly!

3. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I have very slight tinnitus in the right ear but only noticeable when it is absolutely quiet. I have custom ear plugs and carry them wherever I go. Sometimes use them in unexpected places, once at a very loud movie.

I used to have worse tinnitus but my jaw was out of whack with a TMJ problem. I got some physical therapy. The therapist prescribed some jaw exercises and that greatly reduced the ringing. I do them if I notice some ringing. I did some research on this topic and there is a correlation between tinnitus and jaw problems.

My mother has had a constant ringing in her left ear for decades. This tinnitus was caused by an ear infection that did some permanent damage and it is just something she has had to live with.

Just making the point that there can be many causes of tinnitus. Loud music does not do it any good either and after enough loud music I think the ears just decide they cannot recover and go into constant ringing. Also, tinnitus does not necessarily mean you have bad hearing. My hearing tested out as fine at a recent health assessment along with everything else.

If you have tinnitus, and especially if it is really a problem, do get it checked out by a medical professional. Don't assume that its just the loud music. Someone earlier here mentioned Meniere's disease as another cause. Don't mess around with it and use good ear plugs regardless of the cause. When you get to be in your 50's, 60's, 70's and beyond, you still want to be able to hear. I know several 60, 70 + years old musicians and I doubt if they would be playing if they were deaf.

4. I've had very intermittent ringing since I was a teenager and I have hearing deficits at 1060 and 1240 cps. I attribute it to starting to shoot large caliber handguns in competition when I was 9. In those days nobody used hearing protection and as a teenager the most even "the sissies" ever used was a wad of cotton. The benefit was that I was a draft reject in 1966. Hey, my hearing was already damaged by gunfire, so heaven forbid that the military would expose me to gunfire. After my experience with my draft physical I became a lot more aware of the potential for hearing damage as music got louder in the 60s and I have tried to protect it since.

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks! In Memoriam

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I have constant ringing in both ears. Right ear is louder than left, and I only have a slight dip in hearing around 5000hz. It bothers me most when it's totally quiet. And one of the chemotherapy drugs I get makes it worse. After getting that drug the pitch changes and gets louder. My normal pitch is a C, and when I get the chemo it goes up almost an octave to A.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

6. It is worse in my right ear, but it is there in both, and it is not getting better. I wore foamies for years, and then ER20's, and now fitted plugs via an audiologist. I was lucky to stumble on one who works with many of the local symphony players.

Lucky, because she won't need an education in the issue when I go back and ask if I can get deeper molds for better bass response.

Standing next to drummer is a big part of it, and gui****s who think that the knob starts at "6", and a lot of loud gigs is another. I now keep handfuls of foamy plug paks in my car, bookbag, home, gigbag, etc... because I don't want to be caught without them. Very cheap insurance. Once it starts it only takes one loud session to make it worse. That is my experience.

Do visit the HEAR site
    http://www.hearnet.com/index.shtml

7. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    ringing in one ear can also be a sign of auditory neuroma, a life threatening tumor deep inside your ear, near the brain. early detection and removal will save your life, but may take the auditory nerve. happened to someone i know, his operation was a success, but he only hears in one ear now.

8. Great, I was about to talk about the ringing in my right ear, and I have to follow up the post about auditory neuroma. :rollno:
    Frankly, that has me a little worried since I was hit by a car when I was 11, and walked away from it in good shape (well, good compared to what other people look like after such an accident.) Maybe I was in too good a shape.

Dave Peeples, do you have any other symptoms for neuroma that I could base a possible diagnosis on?

Anyhow, back on topic, I know that my right ear rings all the time, but I only notice it when it's really quiet, or when I'm thinking about it. Kind of like now. :D

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I remember hearing high-pitched ringing in my ears since I was a young child. I think it did get worse when I was a teenager and listened to music on headphones and started going to clubs/concerts more often. My ears always seemed to be more affected by the loud music than my friends' ears.

I've worn earplugs to all super-loud concerts and band situations since then, but I've been to a fair number of medium-volume shows without them (loud enough that my ears rang a bit more than usual afterwards).

I was under the impression that the occasional "ear starts ringing and sound gets quieter, lasts for 10 seconds or so" behavior was common and not necessarily a sign of any sort of damage or anything (just something that ears do once in a while).

I have, however, twice over the past 3 years had one ear do that but not stop for > 24 hours. The ringing is pretty loud for a day, then gradually subsides after that over about a week.

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I always have a bit of a ring but it is only really noticeable when it is quiet in bed at night. On some occasions, I'll have an ear that rings a bit more and then goes away.

I do tend to practice to music in headphones quite loudly. But in a jam, live and show situations (both playing and attending), I wear specially made earplugs. At the end of a jam, I will not experience additional ringing when I wear the plugs.

I used to play without earplugs for many years and I used to stand by the drummers crash cymbal right at ear level. I think that probably did some damage. I have also attended some pretty loud concerts where I have experienced massive ringing for up to two days afterwards.

I also work an in aerospace industrial environment which can have quite a lot of noise pollution on any given day. I try to wear foam earplugs when it gets too loud.

I am 31, by the way.

11. im 43 years old and have worked on heavy equiptment since i was 16. 5 of those years i crewed on a busch grand national car. my ears ring all the time. it gets hard to hear when there is any kind of backround noise. hearing protection was something the other guy needed, not me. the sayin goes young and dumb. yes i was and now im payin for it. wear hearin protection youll thank yourself for it. mike.:meh:

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I would like to clarify for the readers that through some reading I've done on tinnitus or "ringing in the ears", to notice ringing ONLY when its quiet or occasional short bursts of ringing (0-30 seconds at a time) are fairly common with aging.

however, if you have "ringing" that sounds like it could be comming from outside your head, but isn't...that is considered "tinnitus" and other noises like "rushing" "thumping" "motor sounds" are also sypmtoms of tinnitus

ELROS, when you say you have a "soft throbbing sound" is it more like a "whooshing" sound that seems to go with your heartbeat??? if so, get your blood pressure checked. I heard rhythmic whooshing (during quiet times) before I was diagnosed with high blood pressure.

13. I've quit bands that were too loud. Your ears are the most precious instrument you've got. If you've got any symptoms of hearing loss, get checked out, get earplugs if needed to prevent further damage (they don't heal, but you can keep them from getting any worse). Or tell them to turn the damn stuff down.

I only hear ringing once in a while, and sometimes after gigs, you guys have got me scared enough I may go in and get tested. I was tested about 10 years ago for a work physical, was normal. So I think I've been pretty good about not playing stupid loud too much. But never hurts to make sure. I do have trouble following conversations in noisy environments, and the wife complains I have the tv up too loud. :eek: Maybe that 1500W bass amp I got 5 years ago wasn't such a good investment??? :bag:

Randy

14. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The poll as I see is flawed in its current form. There is no difference between do your ears ring all the time or only when it gets quiet. If the do indeed ring when its quiet, the they more than likely ring all the time. Just because the ringing is drowned out with normal background noise does not mean the ringing has stopped. I unfortunately have tinnitus quite bad in my right ear. I never thought all those snare drum hits and crash cymbals could do that much damage, but sadly they have.(30+yrs) There are times when things are very quite the ringing literally drives me nuts. If you say I am in my 20's etc. and see the early signs of this horrible condition, by all means use the brains that God gave you and protect your hearing. I did not, and have to suffer the consequences. I was given a second chance with the advent of in ear monitors. I use IEM's for 99.9 percent of the gigs I now do. When I can't use them in certain situations I wear custom ear plugs (-25db)

15. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

No ringing. I wear ear protection at all jams/gigs. I don't go to many concerts. My hearing is critical to my job so I have to take care of it.

16. I have noticed a significant increase in my tinnitis in the last year. There is a direct correlation with when I started playing bars with this cover band. I am especially aware of it when I am trying to sleep. If I wake up in the middle of the night, forget it, it will prevent me from getting back to sleep. I am going to get some ear plugs a friend of mine recommended, but I have to wait another paycheck or two before the 'minister of finance' (my wife) can carve out the bucks. These are the plugs a friend of mine recently purchased and has highly recommended...

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

My question to the group:
    This is maddening! has anyone had their Tinnitis improve after getting properly designed ear plugs? OR has anyone been treated and had the ringing at least reduced? I think I am going to lose my mind!

--tz

17. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if your in a pinch money wise try these... http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx about $12 online. I got my from an ebay seller "buy it now"

if you go molded I'd suggest 25db reduction if you play very regular (more than once a week) and if you play very loud (even shouting is hard to hear).

I bought 15db molded and listened to a few very loud bar bands and still had some negative effects at the end of 2-3 hours :rolleyes:

most molded db "diaphrams" are interchangable with the mold, but cost about $40/pr. see here http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme-acc.aspx

18. I've recently had my hearing checked and been told it's within the normal range but not as good as expected for my age. I'm planning on investing in some better plugs.

I always wear plugs at gigs.

One thing I'd like to draw your attention to, is that there can be other causes... alcohol for instance. Last night I went out for a meal and had a couple of glasses of wine. When I got home the ringing was worse than I've had for a long time and there had been no loud music. Alcohol causes temporary tinnitus almost every time for me. Red wine's probably the worst - sometimes I get a very pure note then.

19. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Couldn't sleep last night because the ringing in my ears was so loud

20. right ear (which has more hearing loss than left ear) - when it's dead silent I hear a ringing with a wavering volume at slightly sharp of an A 440.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021