Another tinnitus poll, please read post first.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Jan 13, 2006.

1. My ears “ring” ONLY when it gets real quiet.

100 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. My ears “ring” every now and then unexpectedly.

85 vote(s)
    33.5%
  3. My ears “ring” ALL the time!

70 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. My ears make OTHER sounds when its quiet.

7 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. My ears make OTHER sounds now and then unexpectedly.

17 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. My ears make OTHER types of sounds ALL THE TIME!!!

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. If I sit in school, sometimes I notice I'll go deaf and all I can hear for a couple of seconds is a loud ring. It scared me to death the first time it happened. Other than that. I can only hear it when I'm going to bed and there is no noise.

2. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Good, it's not just me!

3. Thanks for the info - I am going to use my Hearos until I can get the molded 25dbs (soon) - we know how important this is and I am just going to have to make do with plain old plugs until I can get the good stuff.

Thanks!
    --tz

4. my ears ring all the time. i reckon bein around race engines all my life didnt help. its really bad in a noisy enviroment i have to struggle to hear what is bein said to me. all you young uns out there please wear ear protection.

5. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    My ears ring most of the time, and the primary contributor is my grinding my teeth. I do this at night, and sometimes during the day. For the most part the ringing is not significant enough to be a problem.

6. my buddy at work also grinds his teeth at night. i forgot what he did to fix the problem. his ears still ring though. ill let you know what he did when i find out.

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    My ears ring loudly all the time--for the first about month that I had this, I couldn't sleep barely at all. I still sometimes have sleeping problems from it.

The cause? I went to a band tryout ONCE and forgot my earplugs. My hearing was always perfectly fine after that, but it's been almost eight months now after that tryout and my ears are still ringing like I just got out of there.

Since I'm only 18, I now I have to face this forever probably... It sucks. ALWAYS WEAR EARPLUGS.

-Dash

8. olias

olias

Mar 30, 2006
    Amarillo, Texas
    I'm 47. I have been a drummer for 35 years, have played bagpipes for 18 years, and started learning bass 6 weeks ago. My ears started ringing constantly about a week and a half ago--sounds like crickets. I thought it was my noisy practice amp, so I started practicing without any amplification at all--I don't even plug it in. The ringing gets worse when I start practicing and stays that way for several hours. . It never goes away completely. My ears also seem to sort of pop for several hours after I stop practicing. I have also recently started grinding my teeth.

9. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I get random ringing in my ears sometimes, and other times it sounds like music is playing behing me, or someone is talking to me really, really, really quietly.

10. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    In my younger days I played in a VERY loud band where it was physically uncomfortable..I started using ear protection then and I still do to this day...Another side affect I've found among other musician buddies is that some of them have become deaf to certain frequencies...eg: my flatmate played bass in punk bands for years and now his "mid" frequencies are gone, he can hear a car drive into the neighbourhood from a good distance away but he cant hear the house doorbell ring.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My wife just called me, & told me about a commercial she had just seen. It was for a product called: Lipoflavonoid.

It's a product which has been reported to reduce the effects of Tinnitus. Apparently, its being reported that one of the potential causes of tinnitus is vitamin deficiency & its not always hearing damage.

Worth exploring...

12. i like tictacs

i like tictacs

Feb 2, 2004
    Tinnitus sucks, I've got it pretty bad in both ears and some nice hearing loss to go with it.

Sigh.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Oh, BTW, I've just done a bit of research. Turns out this product has been around for some time, & its really just a Vitamin A regimen.

In WebMD, one of the other potential cause of Tinnitus = too much caffeine. As much as it pains me, I think its time to start backing down from the Diet Mtn Dew.

14. i like tictacs

i like tictacs

Feb 2, 2004
    I read that a lot of caffiene could effect it, so i stopped drinking everything with caffiene that i usually did (6 diet cokes or so a day!)

My tinnitus didn't change at all, althought i did feel a great deal healthier (and still do)

15. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I've got constant ringing all the time in both ears. The left is a little louder than the right ear most of the times, but sometimes they both vary in intensity and "volume."

I've had a mild case of it for years (since about 1985 when I first started playing in REALLY loud metal bands). When I started playing in bands again about a year ago, it was okay. Then one day I'm talking on the cell phone to my ex-guitarist (who was a total drunk loser), and he's playing some riffs in the background. Then he said, "Check this out!" and without warning, he cranked his amp and started playing some really loud, shrill high notes. I thought my eardrum was going to pop! I pulled the phone away from my ear as fast as I could, but it was too late. My left ear has been ringing more loudly since then.

I try to wear ear plugs every time I rehearse, and when I go to concerts. I forgot them not too long ago and was very upset that I didn't have them with me.

Wear your earplugs! You'll be thankful when you're older. And who cares what your bandmates think. Let them ruin their ears while you protect yours.

16. I forgot my ear plugs at our last gig. I stuff tissue in my ears in this case.

Diet - definitely cut the alcohol and particularly red wine. these set my ears off ringing

17. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    mine ring when its real quiet and occasional i get a little ringing in my ears just out of the blue, but i think its worse in my right, mainly form standing with my righ ear towards a drummer who played WAY to loud.

Dave

18. MrLenny

MrLenny

Jun 10, 2006
    So. N.H.
    I have tinnitus in both ears. Loud ringing 24/7.
    It sucks!!! We play too loud!!! Everybody.
    Wear ear plugs, don't turn out like me. It's a living nightmare.

19. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I just figured it out, it's not actually my aers ringing, it the tv that I hear. I can be upatairs, in my room, listening, or playing music, or whatever. And then my sis. could turn the tv on in the basement, and then my ears ring, it's weird, it's also like that in my room, i've got an old 80's tv, and whenver it's on, my ears ring like hell!, I actually have to crank the tv for it to away, so as it turns out, I got my hearing checked, all perfect, this is wierd, what am I hearing? is the tv making some supersonic noise that I can hear, or what?

20. HeyMikey

HeyMikey

Dec 28, 2005
    I have suffered from this problem for many years. I am now 58. I have a constant high pitch tone in both ears that is 24/7. Somtimes the tone changes into what I would describe as a bunch of birds chirping at the same time.
    I have a severe hearing loss and wear hearing aids (except when I play). I'm sure the Tinnitus is due to my early years listening to very loud sounds without hearing protection. I was young and dumb. Now I'm just old and dumb.
    As far as I know, the Tinnitus will never go away. I'm stuck with it for life. I have sort of learned to just ignore it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021