Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another tru oil question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kjbrowne, Jun 30, 2005.

1. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    I currently have about 10 coats of tru oil on my black korina body. Finish looks about 1/2 a mile deep so Im guessing 20 coats will give me a full mile. I am considering a wipe on poly to finish it off.

1.How long should I let it dry before the poly?

2.Should I skuff the body with 0000 wool before the poly?

1 more question. Im using a maple on maple neck and Im thinking it may be a little to bright with just the oil and poly. Can anything be added to the oil to give it more of a amber look?

2. I would nix the idea of a wipe on poly. Wipe on's wipe off and that won't leave you with much on top of the TO. A spray lays on top and builds much better. I would spray the Poly to get the best coverage and build.

You should let the TO not only dry but CURE. My own rule of thumb (and every time I say this I get an argument from someone :rollno: ) is to let it cure until you can't smell it any more and then a little longer. Run your nose all over it and see if you can detect the smallest whiff of TO. If you can't, then it's cured, at least enough for the top coat.

TO isn't amber enough for you??? Damn, it's like maple syrup and darker than my amber shellac and that's pretty amber. Put a couple of drops of an alcohol based dye in it. I've also used an oil based leather dye with the TO on rosewood necks as part of a homebrew "ebonizing" that worked pretty well. That might be your ticket.

3. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    I was thinking of the wipeon because I don't have a spray gun and would have to use a rattle-can. Can you recommend any good rattle-can poly.

Thanks for the reply.

4. The Minwax poly in the can is great. Just be sure to warm the cans before spraying. They have gloss and satin and both will make a finish that will look nearly as good as a gun finish with some patience.

5. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    One more question.

My neck and hardware are at least a week away from arriving. At this point each coat of oil appears to be improving the look of the finish. Is there a benifit to just adding more coats or will a point be reached where the finish will not get any better? At the rate I can add coats I could get as high as 30 coats.

6. You might feel that the TO will make things too amber after that many coats - I don't truly know, I've never put that many on! But since the coating will always remain transparent, it will always make the grain reflection look great. So keep going, and if it gets to be too much, just do a wetsanding with 1000 grit and take a little off, then polish it before putting on the poly.