Another tube amp related question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LCMBassist, Feb 9, 2009.

1. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Ok so you have a cab rated at 300 watts. You have a tube amp rated at 300 watts. Now I know tube watts are supposedly 3-4 times louder than solid state watts due to the fact you can push them harder, soooooo, will that equate to 3-4 times the wattage going into the cab, and blow it sky high, as it'd be getting an efective 900-1200 watts driven into it?

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    See the "Do Tube Amps Push More Air..." thread. In terms of what the cab sees, I don't think it really matters. A watt is a watt.

At the same time, I tend to use different cabs with tubes than with solid state. "Modern" ported, "hi-fi" cabs for solid state. Sealed, "old skool", "character" cabs for tube. When I choose one or the other, I go all the way.

KO

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A watt is a watt. You're fine.

4. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    I wonder what an Ampeg SVT would sound like into some Ashdown 4x8s....since my friend is getting an SVT, I guess I will find out soon enough!

5. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    You're fine. Tube amps aren't magic. It may be debatable whether they 'sound' louder, but one thing is the case - you aren't getting 1200 watts from a 300w tube head.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021