Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another tuning question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DrPants, Aug 4, 2001.

1. DrPants

DrPants

Jul 30, 2001
    Carmel, Indiana
    thanks for telling me how to drop-d, and if you can tell me how to tune C#, G#, C#, F#, i'd really appreciate it! :)

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Thats what I call "Linkin Park" tuning... :D

start in Drop D tuning and tune all the strings a half-step down from where they are. Notice that C# is a 1/2 step below D and G# is a 1/2 step below A and so on. You can do this by fretting the thickest string at the 8th fret and tuning it down 'till it is the same pitch as the next string. **Remember: Never tune a string straight down. Always tune from a lower pitch to keep the strings tight and avoid the string going out of tune easier.**

Once you have the thickest string to C# you can tune all the rest to that note like you would with regular drop D: the second-thinnest string should be the same note but an octave higher, the thinnest one should equal the pitch of the second thinnest string fretted at the fifth fret, the second thickest one fretted at the fifth fret should equal the pitch of the three thickest strings

Ok I hope that wasnt too confusing...

just remember these 2 things:

1. drop C# is just 1/2 step below drop D
    2. never tune a string straight down. Always tune low, then sweep it back up to keep tension on the tuner and keep the string in tune.

It seems you like to detune your bass, Dr Pants. May I suggest a 5 string bass as your next bass? It adds a fifth string that goes down to low B which is a lot lower than most people detune their 4 string basses.

3. DrPants

DrPants

Jul 30, 2001
    Carmel, Indiana
    uuummm... well, that was pretty confusing... i cant really figure out what you're talking about. umm, but yeah. thanks for telling me and maybe some day i'll be able to figure it out.

and yes, i do like to detune my bass, but as long as i can tune it back. i would also love to have a 5-string, but i never have any money what-so-ever and i could just borrow my brother's anyway. :)

4. get a chromatic tuner!!

5. DrPants

DrPants

Jul 30, 2001
    Carmel, Indiana
    I HAVE NO MONEY!