1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another TZ2 post

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Apr 21, 2006.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

So I've been in the market for a new fuzz since last winter and while in NYC tried out many new high end models. Some sounded good, but I have to say that yesterday I went to my local store to try out a Gayatone TZ-2. I found it had exactly the tone I'd been looking for -- it's less bee-in-a-can and more buzzsaw-headed-for-your-eyebrows if you know what I mean. Fuzz is extremely subjective, of course, but it was really nice to find that compared with the more expensive options, this relatively cheap pedal was exactly what I wanted. Extra bonus: my spouse came with since we were headed out to dinner afterwards and she liked the sound so much she bought it for me as a gift. She is not a musician.

--JES

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Awesome! I've been eyeballing one of those for a while. They are definitely great sounding, especially compared to some "boutique" fuzz pedals. Like you said, fuzz is very subjective, but I think Guyatone nailed what a lot of us are looking for. Have fun with it.

3. Ive heard it referred to as the poor mans depth charge. Clips ive heard have sounded rather raunchy.

what controls does it have? And can it be subtle, or is it always balls and all?

peace

4. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hi Chips --

There's just a volume and depth. It does remind me a little of the Depth Charge without a blend control. I would under no circumstance characterize the pedal as subtle.

--JES

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Anything but subtle. And yes, very raunchy. I love it.

6. actually i think it was you, Jazz, who sent me the clips. I almost bit the bullet and bought one, but im using a Chunk Systems Brown Dog for my fuzz needs these days, so i didnt really need it.

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I started a thread a while back in the search for a nasty, raunchy noise box. The TZ-2 was recommended and I sought clips of it in action. Needless to say, I was impressed. It does sound much like a Depth Charge and it is full-on fuzz. Absolutely nasty, great fuzz. I got sidetracked since then and still haven't picked one up. This thread reminded me just how much I NEED one. My wife and neighbors will want to "thank" you. :D