Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Unknown E-Bay Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    ANY IDEA WHAT THIS IS?

Cause I have no clue. I would say it reminds me of a Mr. Potato without the strange (Mr. Potato) writing on it, but i'm not sure. But I called first dibs on it. :D

But does anyone know what this is? And can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definitely look like a Mr Potato clone of some sort.

3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i smell rat! :mad:

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The more I look at it, the more I see a Mr. potato clone. It was probably built in the same factory, which probably explains why it has unknown pickups and unkown this or that. Although whatever this "Custom Bass" is, it has all signs of Mr. Potato sanded and finished off of it. :D This is defintely a PB-550-6-N
    [​IMG]

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    TAKE THAT BACK! :D
    jk

TRBs dont have bindings, but they have abalone inlays. either way, its a pretty cool looking bass!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I doubt it was built in a factory - it looks like a kit to me - parts put together by somebody at home. So, all the hardware items look like very easily-obtained parts that anybody could buy.

So - it may have been an individual working on their own from books or somebody going to college and working on it as a project etc. etc.

It looks very chunky and heavy to me - so you're choosing woods as an amateur and think - oh that'll be great for tone - but forget that the thing has to be lifted off the floor!!

You might get a bargain - but you might get a basa that will give you a hernia and be basically unplayable - so they also mention that there are problems with the action - maybe the builder coudn't get the setup right, no matter how he adjusted it and just gave up and tried to sell it....:meh:

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I think it's a Washburn ..... but I could be wrong...:meh:

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Its already over my limit and I'm going to probably wait for the new and improved Brice Model To come out in February or I might get a really cheap bass and just do some work on it.