1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another USA Peavey in My Collection...Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ok all, I just bought this ---> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245032 off of a fellow TBer. It looks like it's one of the later TL's and the pickups appear to be the same ones that are in my Cirrus. I know that earlier TL's used a different pickup. So are there any of you out there have used a later TL like this one and also have used a Cirrus? If so, they pretty much have the same tone? Is the active EQ the same? Thanks!

Click the below to enlarge:

View attachment 33760

View attachment 33761

2. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    Looking at the control layout, the EQ won't be exactly the same as the cirrus. It could be functionally the same though.

The cirrus pre is a board with the pots on it, so since they have a 5 knob layout, they wouldn't line up.

As far as the circuit goes though, it could be the same one as the Tigereye/Millenium with sweeping mids, just with two stacked pots instead of one. Then again, it could be completely different.

My guess is that (judging from the construction) it will be similar in sound to a Maple topped cirrus with sweepable mids. There are going to be differences of course, but looking at the way the thing is put together and laid out... I see a lot of similarities.

It's probably a question easily answered on the Peavey offical forums.

P.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Damn that is one beautiful bass! If you get tired of it let me know ;)

4. Quadzilla

Bump...

5. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    omg, 400 bucks what a steal!!:bassist: :bassist:

6. Quadzilla

Well I got her in the mail last night. First thing that struck me was the construction. WOW! I think the contruction on this one might be a notch or two up from my Cirrus (and all but one other Cirrus I've owned). It's stunning to look at.

The neck is wwwide and spacing is obviously wide as well. Neck profile is Pedullaish (wide, and thin front to back) as it spacing if you've played a Pedulla with the optional 19mm spacing.

Controls are:

top - volume and pickup blend (blend has center dent)
    bottom - stacked low/high for each pickup

The strange part is that if you max out the lows and highs on the bridge pickup, it gives you a wah effect with feedback. Back them off and they are fine. Just weird. The EQ is actually more versatile than my Cirrus in that I can actually get a broader range of tones out of the TL vs the Cirrus. Who woulda thought?

Action is nice and low but the B is slightly more floppy than what I am used to as I mainly play 35" scale basses, but it's acceptable and pretty good for a 34". We do however play a lot of songs drop 1/2 step, so I'm wondering how she will do here..

That's about all I can say in my 30 min of playing time with her last night. More to come/

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a great score man! I wish I could gave it a slap myself.

8. Quadzilla

I just played it some more. I'm really digging it. Turns out the B is a little better than I thought. The bass was tuned about 1/2 step down either from the previous owner or shipping. I had limited time last night and the strings were pretty much in tune with each other and I didn't notice it. Lovin it!!!