1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Vintage Fender question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Riley R, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Hey guys I need some help, what years did Fender paint there headstock the same color as the body, I have seen the reissues but I don't think I've ever seen a vintage with a painted headstock. :help:

thanks

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    It was for custom colors. Not sure of the years off the top of my head, but it was an added charge to get the matching head stock. This was common in the early 60s, I dunno about later.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It was an option for the custom color Jazz Basses from 1960 to 1970. Lots of them floating around, especially popular in black, oly white, and candy apple red. There were many other colors too.

It never was a catalog option on the Precision, but a couple were done.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've seen a Burgandy mist Precision with the matching headstock pop up on the 'bay from time to time.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The early '80s P Specials had matching headstocks too. Car, LPB, and White.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Though not particularly "vintage" so did the Stu Hamm Sig in Burgundy Mist and LPB that I've seen.

6. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well yeah the Precision Specials had it, but that was a different model of 80's bass with active electronics and gold hardware. I have one in white, sorta like the one pictured in the middle above.

But I was assuming the OP was asking about regular model Fenders basses from the 50's/60's/70's.

7. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Thats true I was asking about 50/60/70's basses, But you guys answered my question, the bass that I have been looking at must be a custom order than and the owner doesn't even know it, well neither did I till now.

8. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Surely you've seen Jack Daley's black '66. He plays it alot.

l_a9c834f5f9c2e7782804c44383daa906.

Here's cool looking Lake Placid Blue '67 on the Elderly site

[​IMG]

And a nice '65 in Candy Apple Red

[​IMG]

9. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Wow those are hot basses I love them with the covers to