Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Wacky Warwick!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UrbanAssault415, Jul 28, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The task for the Warwick Custom Shop demanded by Mr Wolfgang Schlegl-Tiefenbacher was being able, to play in the highest pitches. To fulfil this special customer request an additional ebony fretboard extension was worked in after the upper pickup, which ends very close to the bridge. This innovative idea of the extended fretboard offers the customer playing possibilities and tapping play in the highest pitches, he never had before. This new, innovative and unbelievable sounds are picked up by a two part Warwick / Fishman Piezo bridge and assures a new range of tonal variations. The magnetic Piezo pickup system possesses separately divided tone baffles and the tonal signals are conducted on two divided sockets, which can be activated by toggle switch. The Nirvana Black Oil finish varnishing and the chrome-plated hardware completes the fantastic look of this bass"

I thought that was a ramp when I first saw it buts its an fretboard extention I wonder if its mor then 3 octives. Wonder how it sounds with the pick-up that far up.

2. IMO, that is the coolest Warwick i ever seen. Im not a "Wick" fan at all...but i would love to try one of those.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's pretty cool. I don't know how it would work with the ramp/fretboard extension though.

4. its one of a kind custom shop. We will probably never even see it. :crying:

5. what a completely unique idea!

That fretboard extension can double as a ramp, too.

I can't imagine playing anything 5 octaves up and man, you'd have to have some violin training or something to get the intonation down.

But, very very cool!

6. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    *sigh*

I'm going to need new pants now.

7. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    That bass kicks a$$. Maybe I'm biased because I'm an irrational Warwick fan. I've never thought of a fretboard extension like that. That'd be cool to mess with.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow. That fingerboard extension past the pickup falls under the category of "Why didn't anyone think of that until now?"

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    would that not have rediculously high action all the way down there? either that or the bridge would be so low... the action on the regular neck would be poor?

nevertheless... i would love to try one!

10. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I bet the extension is pretty elevated, so it fixes the action itself.

11. ...crazy germans...

looks awesome though

12. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    +1. looks good.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know, the only reason you guys like it so much is because they made it look like it was glowing.

14. anything by Mr Wolfgang Schlegl-Tiefenbacher is OK by me...

sorry for the sarcasm, it's a nice bass. Good thing his name isn't on the headstock, would've added like 3-5 more inches.... ;)

15. He'd have to have some fair coin, though, for Warwick to invest into the idea...??

16. seems the only way to play the extended fretboard is by taping, can't imagine bringing my left hand across the body

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That is one cool looking bass.

The extending fingerboard would be great for tapping. I fool around with tapping harmonics beyond the fretboard, and it would be nice to have something to slap the string against.

On the other hand, I wonder if it would make it impossible to pop strings, since there doesn't seem to be much room to get your finger under it.

18. The strangest thing is that if you are actually pressing the string against the extension and running both the magnetic and piezo pickups then they will detect two different frequencies, one for the short section toward the bridge, and one for the long section toward the nut. I wonder why they did that.

19. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I've fooled around with using ramps to play and "fret" one like that before (although not quite THAT far back) I never found it to be that useful of a tool for what i do...

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Wow. It is even more appropriate to call them Warwanks now.