1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Another Walter Woods

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by KUNGfuSHERIFF, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Offering for sale my Walter Woods MI 100-4, which puts out 100 Watts into 4 ohms. Completed September 26, 1989 it has red anodized aluminum front, back and sides with black fiberboard top and bottom.
    The preamp is single-channel, and has "loud" and "soft" inputs, an input gain, bass knob with more/flat/less switch, midrange, treble also with three-way switch and master volume.
    The left panel has an on/off/on switch, orange power-on light and two speaker outputs. The back is ribbed with heat fins, and has two long bolts where the posts to wind the power cord around were attached. The posts are missing but the screws are intact. Otherwise in excellent cosmetic condition and perfect working order.
    Asking $1,000. Prepay and get shipping and insurance included in the purchase price, or COD and buyer pays for shipping. Can arrange to email pics to those seriously interested.
    Located in Albany, NY.
  2. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    not meaning any disrespect - i'm just trying to learn more - but are you sure it's only 100 watts? a grand seems like an awful lot of money for so little power, and i've never heard of a ww with such low wattage.

if it really is 100w, what's your opinion of it's performance, both as a doubling amp and in louder situations?

sean p
  3. No problem, man. The right side of the box notes the output as 100 Watts at 4 ohms. The little sucker is loud, more so than my 100W Ampeg B-100R.
    I'm not a doubler, so I can't speak to its' performance with a URB, but it seems to work great with electric. Posted the ad here because I know these are prized by doghouse wranglers.
    Also, unfortunately, can't speak to its performance in a group context, as the amp has been sitting on a shelf in my closet since I bought it several months back. But it should do well in an acoustic jazz setting, or similar context as it's able to pump out quite a lot of clean sound.
    A grand is a lot of money, but this is in line with what I've seen similar Woods amps--no matter their power rating--sell for.
    Brian Barrett (thelowend.net) recently sold a similar 100W amp with front-mounted DI for $1,600. More recent amps tend to go quickly for $1,500 and up on eBay and in online classifieds.
  4. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    I've got two of these amps (one was a gift from
    Walter - his old shop amp) and the model is
    MI100-4. They sound great for double bass in
    low volume settings used with an efficient cab.
    This was Walter's model in the 70's before the
    all-metal cabinet MI100-8 replaced it.
    btw the amp Brian Barrett sold was an MI225-8
    with an upgraded one channel preamp - I know
    because I sold it to him.
  5. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001

I sent PM I did see a response.
    I'm not a Woods Amp expert but I didn't know Woods made amps in the 1980's that were a single channel.
    Could you post pictures in talkbass, or send me a PM or email?
  6. D'oh! Thanks for correcting me. Didn't mean to mislead anyone.
    My amp is marked with the date Sept. 26, 1989 inside the amp, on the top wall of the chassis. I assumed this is the date the amp was built...could the amp have been built in the 70s with the date meaning something entirely different, perhaps a date it was sent in for service?
    Thanks for chipping in the knowledge.
  7. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    The amp was probably restored on that date
    by Walter. Sometimes when an amp fails,
    the original parts are unavalable (e.g.
    power transistors) so Walter uses new
    parts (usually an improvement over the
    older ones).
    Single channel amps were an option into
    the 90's. Popular with guitarists and
    others who could save a few bucks over
    a two channel model. Four channels were
    also available in the MI100-8 and MI225-8
    models from the late 70's to the early
    90's for an additional charge
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 100 watters usually go for less than $1000 these days, $700 is pretty common. One local dealer who often gets in used WWs told me he won't even take 100 watters in anymore because there is so little demand for them. Yours being so old might go for more $$$$ if someone wanted one for collecting purposes (I'd love to see a picture of it).

Although Brian B. did ask $1600 for his MI-225-8, it was top dollar especially since it was only single channel. BassNW sold a 4-channel 600 watter recently for only $1200 and my 2-channel MI-225-8 was only $1000.
  9. Thanks for the continual stream of info, gentlemen. Full disclosure is our friend, after all.
    I hope to have digi pics taken Sunday...can anyone brief me (in a PM so we don't clutter the thread more than necessary) on how to post them here without the benefit of a photo host?
  10. Finally have pics to email. PM me.