1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Warwick question ^^ lol

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, May 4, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Well, ive already asked a few questions about warwick, cos im probably buying one, probably. Last question, could it be played anyway near a precision bass with some tweaking, not like, just reasonably like Steve Harris tone. Or will it probably atleast sound good to Iron Maiden songs?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    no

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :rolleyes:

The tone will be different, sure.
    But with the right strings, technique and settings, it can get a good impression of it.

Some say the Corvette is the most Fenderish-sounding Warwick, yet still has the Warwick tone. I tend to agree: it's quite versatile.

4. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    cheezewiz, sorry, but im getting very tired of your stupid answers, dont answer if you cant put a whole sentance in it, ************* (what ever you take that ass)

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    +1 Good luck with it!:bassist:

6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What?

7. I wouldn't call them idiotic.

They are quick and to the point, though I would like to mention that looking at his gear, I would say he's an old school, vintage kind of bassist. So Warwicks are not really geared toward his style.

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You are correct Rick. I am a more "old school" type player.
    I was just funnin Mr Demon a bit. It seems to me, he would be better served going out an playing a warwick and deciding if he liked the sound, rather than asking everyone if it can cop a particular recorded tone. So much more goes into a recorded tone besides which bass is used.

9. Any bass can be used for any style of music.

10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Consider that although Harris plays a Precision, his tone is nowhere close to a "traditional" Pbass tone.
    I`ve been playing a Corvette Std Ash yesterday with new strings, and could get a quite similar tone.
    As stated before, with the right setup/equipment/technique you can get close.

11. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Cheezewiz, there are no Warwicks near to me to try thats why. And cheezewiz, yes, your answers are to the point, but both times other people have said its possible.

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I wouldn't buy a bass I had never played based solely on the opinions of strangers on the internet. Warwicks especially tend to yield very polarized opinions. It's not just the tone, but the weight, the balance and the thickness of the neck. They are great basses, but they may not be right for you. Surely someone in your country has a Warwick for you to try.

Could a Warwick sound like a P-bass? Maybe. Depends on which Warwick, which strings, which amp, and what settings are used on both. Even then, you'll get close at best.

13. CommandoBob

CommandoBob

Nov 17, 2005
    why the hell do i have to drive 3 hours to play a damn bass, when i can ask you guys.

14. I would strongly recommend trying a bass over purchasing one sight unseen. Three hours to "play a damn bass" isn't all that crazy when you consider that it could be your "dream bass".

That said, I recently purchased a Warwick Thumb 4 bolt-on and I am in heaven. I had not even considered Warwicks. Having played Fenders for years, I thought I knew what I wanted in a bass and Warwicks just did'nt seem to fit the bill.

That was until I tried the one I have now.

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Because there is more to tone than just the bass. Because not every bass fits every person. Because different people look for different things in a musical instrument. Because just about everything involved in choosing a bass in subjective. Because it's not real smart to buy a $1000+ musical instrument without trying it first.

Use this forum as a resourse, but don't make decisions on buying bassed based on other people's opinion without trying them out for yourself. At least, order your bass from a company with a liberal return policy.

16. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    My corvette sound just fine on Iron Maiden songs..I play a lot of Maiden for warmups etc..To get the Harris trademark percussive snap and gallop, I keep the treble at the center detent and roll on just a little low end and pluck a little more aggressively, to get the strings to hit the frets a little..listen to "The Clarvoiant" on 7th Son and it sounds just like my warwick through my peavey tnt 150 with flat eq..hope this helps..

17. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Simple answer, any bass (that works properly) can sound like any other bass, however you will have to shape the tone etc. So just try it, see if it could fit and if not, do you care? You might like it more. Or less obviously :D

18. you know, just jumping into the water and buying a bass is a big deal especially one you've never played before. I just saw you started a thread about getting blisters on your fingers and saying that you were new to bass? My guess is you're not going to know what you want for a while. You might as well as put it on the back burner and try a bunch more basses before buying. I mean there's a lot to consider with ergo of the bass, how it sits, how it feels, how it hangs on a strap, how it sits on your lap on top of just liking the sound. I played for 4 years before I purchased my second bass. At the very least do urself a favor and go used if u do purchase the warwick...

Corvettes don't do a great P at all IMO. My standard 'vette, fretless 'vette, and LTD FNA all sound different, none of them being close to a fender P. Technique is everything but that's a useless statement when it comes to picking out a bass. This circles back around to the ergo and comfort of a bass which I think is really the most important.

19. AmPb100

AmPb100

Apr 25, 2005
    Berklee/Boston
    A friend of mine has a Corvette 5 string with a humbucker PU. He got quite a distinctive PBass sound from the bass, albeit with an active push behind it.

20. I disagree with some of the comments about how you get can similar tone to another very different bass.

I was using my Warwick Corvette for some band recordings last winter. I started on this rock n' roll track. It sounded cool, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. It just sounded too modern. I wanted some dirt in the tone. I tried everything, and I was working with a Bass Pod at the time. Different amps, different EQ's... nothing seemed to really work.

In the end, I brought in my Fender Precision to get the job done.

CommandoBob, to answer your comment, everybody here could love Warwicks.. and you buy one, and end up not really satisfied. It is really worth it to try one before you buy. Their tastes may not be your taste.

For instance I had my heart set on a Fender Jazz at one point. But when I tried it, I didn't like the neck so much. But some people love the thin neck.