Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another way to save strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dee Wurthy, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Hey guys, it looks like us dirty, sweaty handed people have a solution to our quickly-dying strings.
    http://www.sweaty-palms.com/

But seriously, does anybody know if there is a product that:
    -Degreases hands
    -Completely cleans all the sweat and dirt
    -Can be put on without washing off with water
    -Dries by itself

So in other words, I can be sitting around playing bass for a couple hours, and clean the crap off of my hands every few minutes without having to go all the way to a bathroom to re-clean my hands.

I'm really sick of strings dying on me in a week.

Thanks!

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Handiwipes. Pick em up at just about any supermarket or drug store. Just pop em open, wipe off your hands, and you're good to go.

The plus side is people think you're a total nerd at a jam session or band practice when you whip out the handiwipes. ;)

3. Oh, Jeez!
    Duh, thanks...I can't believe I havent thought of that!

Hey, BTW, I really like the recordings you have posted. What gear did you use on most of those songs?

4. Dee Wurthy, I carry Purell with me everywhere I go, it's one of those Instant Hand Sanitizer with Aloe, Moisturizers & Vitamin E, you know for cleaning your hands when there is no soap, but it works great for sweaty hands too. I think Safeway and drugs stores carry it.

http://www.eshop.msn.com/eshopframe...8&aid=336166&aparam=purell_instant_hand_sanit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That CD was made with the old bass player. He used a Warwick bass and an Aguilar head for the recordings.

I pretty much can match his sound, however I like the sound of my J-Bass and mesa head better :)

6. Aha. It was really the Mesa head in question (I share the same taste for M-2000). Cool.

7. Thanks Treena! I have learned a lot from reading your posts in the past year and am never ceased to be impressed by your knowledge.

Perhaps I will start with the Purell and wipe down with the Handiwipes!

8. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    hehe. Get a little cleaning station for gigs. A few different lotion dispensers, handi-wipes, maybe some handwarmers for those cold outdoor gigs. People will think you're nuts :D

Either way, I love my Mesa, and everyone else in the band loves my Mesa. We've tried it all (it's nice because the guitar player's dad owns the local music shop so we can "borrow" stuff to practice with).

We should be recording a new CD soon and then you'll get to do a comparison between bass sounds.

9. With the Mesa coming out on top, of course...Heh.

I put mine up against an SVT4, a SWR SM-900 and an Eden 800. Even while extensively twiddling with all, I found the M-2000 to be the most clear and percussive. Nothing else did it for me.

10. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I actually had a bit of trouble getting my sound out of the 2000 at first. Thankfully Mesa includes suggested settings for each channel, along with templates for saving your own settings. I ended up with a slight variation (added more mids) of their rock tube/scooped FET setting and it sounds phenomenal, especially with partial blends. Yesterday at practice when I started playing, everyone looked over at me and their jaws dropped.

The problem before was that I needed to fill out the low end as well as remain very punchy and clear as bass is really supposed to stand out in our music and most ska.

11. No kidding, as much as I change sounds around lately. I juggle about 3-5 different tones for different occasions.