Another weight lifting question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    When lifting, how much time should I allow inbetween sets? I only have one dumbell which I am using for curls. I do a set with the right, then the left and repeat that twice. Is this allowing too much time inbetween sets?
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Generally, I recommend 60-90 seconds in between sets. There are other factors involved though, (e.g. style of lifting, [circuit versus mass training], muscle group being worked, and style of sets, [pyramid, etc]).

I assume you're talking about incline bicep curls. I doubt your sets last longer than 60-90 seconds, so you should be okay. Conversely, the biceps are a small muscle group and do usually respond to high reps/low weight type sets, which means that your rest time doesn't necessarily have to be so high.

Bottom line, unless you're resting for minutes between each arm, you should be okay.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Eskimo, why do you have only one dumb bell? You limit your weight training possibilities quite a bit that way. Check out used sports equipment stores, GoodWill, or classified ads to pick up used dumb bells at really cheap prices. Maybe you can get a decent used barbell or E-Z-Curl bar also while you are at it.

Another problem with one dumb bell is that you will be surprised how fast you gain strength and the weight of that one dumb bell will not be adequate. That means you will have to do a lot of sets and reps to tax your muscles enough for your workout to be worthwhile.

Honestly, give serious consideration to adding more dumb bells to your present lonely one.
  4. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well, actually I have a total of three: two 10s and one 15. I hold both 10s together as one to act as 20 which seems to be a good curling weight. I can hold both dumbells in my hand at the same time. I do three sets to fatigue for each arm. When I feel the need to upgrade I could pair a 10 with the 15 to make 25.
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The key in lifting is to change everything. Change wieghts, sets, excersizes, rest periods. etc. If you don't your body will get use to the regiment and stop gaining, so the answer to your question sometimes go right into the next set with no rest, the next time (next day, weel later, whatever) rest 30 seconds, the next time 60 and always change your exersizes and rest periods.