1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another weird buzz question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Just tore down (neck off) and reassembled my backup bass, a stock Ibanez SR-535. Now there's a rattle whenever I play any note on the B string. Doesn't happen on any other string. Damping the string above the nut doesn't help. Damping the string behind the saddle doesn't help. Pressing down on the saddle to immobilize it doesn't help.

It almost sounds like it's coming from inside the string, but if it was a broken core I expect it wouldn't stay in tune. There's also no reason to suspect a broken core, it's only been off the bass for a couple of days and there are no kinks in it.

The bass never did this before the disassembly and reassembly.

Any ideas what might be going on?

2. cricman

cricman

Feb 23, 2013
    West of Dallas
    Subscribed because I have a an eerily similar situation with the D string on my PBass clone. Mine sounds like it is coming from around the pick guard area near the pickup. Dampening it with not only my fingers and my 7 year old daughter's fingers doesn't alleviate the buzz. It buzzes open and in all but a few of the highest note positions.

cricman

3. cricman

cricman

Feb 23, 2013
    West of Dallas
    I solved my buzz with new strings. Since my PBass was a recent $40 craiglist special with a decent neck and hardware, I upgraded the electronics. The new strings made the difference.

cricman

4. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I have a loose tuner on my Fender Jazz V. Rattles when I play a low B and goes away when I grab the G tuner. Maybe that's your problem too?

5. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    typically string rattle is cause by improper winding of your string. dont wrap it around the post before tightening.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Remove and reinstall the string, and make sure the B string saddle is fully seated and that the screws (intonation and saddle height) are tight.