1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another 'what bass is good for me'?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rokx, Nov 13, 2010.

1. rokx

rokx

Nov 13, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey everyone,
    I want to know from people's experiences more about double basses.
    I'm currently practising and gigging on a borrowed double bass, belonging to my university. I picked up playing double bass half a year ago. I know it's a short time, but I've been through many instruments, and a solid classical background with piano and violin, so you kind of get a sense of how to practise. I do have a teacher from whom I get casual lessons.

In short, the bass is reasonably playable, but to put it a different way, it sucks. My teacher gave it a little set-up, but still has many unexplained fretboard buzzing and the like.
    Further down the track, I'd like to buy a double bass for myself. I basically do only pizz, for the various jazz-styles and funk-styles. I'm not looking for a complete beginner double bass, but I want something that I'd be proud to have as my first double bass and be able to gig on it for the rest of my life, but nothing boutique.

Because this is a future sort of thing, I don't have a budget at the moment, and also I have no idea about pricing ranges for double basses. I know you can get the cheapo ones for 1000-2000, but not looking for those. Probably anything up to about 6-7000, but yeh, I don't know prices.

I'm perfectly happy to buy used, and I'd prefer a handmade instrument (from my experience from violins).
    Cheers everyone, sorry for the long post.

2. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    This might be a good place in your area to go ask questions and play basses... http://www.atelierpuglisi.com/ (Google is your friend ;) )

I've no idea what it takes to get a "handmade" bass in your area, but guess 6-7k wouldn't get you much. You are more likely in the market for a good "workshop" bass... not crafted from start to finish by one maker, but by a team of workers. There's nothing wrong with that. You just have to take it instrument by instrument, play a lot of them, and you can likely find a good sounding and playing bass within your budget. What advice does your teacher have for you ?

3. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    The problem with uprights is you can buy something half assed for 1K but if you want something really good, it shoots way up -- close to 8K. My advice, just play something playable for now. Then shop. No sense discussing fine instruments at this point

4. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    It might be worth it for you to make a trip up to Sydney and see Matthew Tucker at Bresque Basses.

A chat with him would surely get you going in the right direction. He might even have the bass you're looking for.

He's a regular participant on Talkbass. Send him a PM.

5. rokx

rokx

Nov 13, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey thanks for the replies.
    This is gonna be a 1-2 years down the track sorta thing, and I just wanted to gather information so I can start saving, haha
    8k sounds reasonable, like not unexpected. I know a few violin makers around my area I guess I could stop by, but there wouldn't be any particular brands/makers I could look out for?
    Anyway thanks

6. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  7. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Bring your present bass into a shop and get a good setup and if needed some strings
    Develop a relation with the shop
    Try out some basses he has
    And wait a couple of years until you have enough money
    Dont buy a bass until you have had a chance to try out 20 or more basses. By that time you will have a good understanding of the variety , setup , strings , design and construction

Bring the borrowed bass into a good shop and get it tweaked and setup

Thanks

Robert VanLane