Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another what bass question??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJsBassbeatblue, May 27, 2004.

1. Ok, so iv been selling all that I own to help feed my habit (bass). my main bass is a Gibson Les Paul 5 and its great but I need something new. I’ve been asked to play bass for a jazz group (its kind of scary, as I’ve never played anything this complex in front of people). So after much thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that I need a new bass, as the Les Paul just doesn't work for Jazz. I have 3 months until any gig with the band so I have time on my side. I’m looking at getting a fretless and I would prefer a five. So what bass? Oh and I’m on a budget of under £800. Cheers for any input.

2. That would be somewhere in the area of $1000 - $1100 US, right? You might be able to get a Carvin. I'm not sure that they ship overseas, though.

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    geddy lee jazz bass, any of the fender jazz'es

conklin groove tools maybe?

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    How's about a Warwick Corvette Std or Proline 5 - here they cost less than the list price.
    You can also order them fretless with ebony board (no charge) or lined ebony.
    The Std with bubinga has strong, growly lows and ow-mids and a bit compressed highs - that, I think, should work well for jazz; the Proline with maple sounds more traditional