Another "What bass should I get?" question!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cochise, Feb 26, 2005.

1. OK, it's not quite as bad as that. I'm going to buy a Warwick Corvette. I've played the 4 string standard active with an ash body and JJ pups and I really like this bass. However, I asked the sales guy about the same bass with a Bubinga body and got "You don't want one of those, they're really heavy, more expensive, and sound too trebley" It transpired that the real reason I 'needed' the ash over the bubinga was that he had the ash in stock. I've called around, but can't find a bubinga to try within reasonable travelling distance. I was also considering a proline but can't find one of those either. So my question is really not which bass but which body wood should I get. No suggestions of other basses please, I am in the very fortunate position of being able to afford something a fair bit more expensive than the 'vette, and I played loads of other makes and models at different price points, but I really really liked this bass.

Oh yeah, the other point is that I already have a P bass with SD vintage pups so I am looking for something to contrast with this, and although I play fingerstyle in rock/blues band I intend to learn to slap and pop with the best of you bad mofo's out there. Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey, Sale's guys (Usually) are jerks, and you were absolutely right thinking that he named the Cons of the bubinga 'cuz he didnt have one in stock (I was in sales... I've dont stuff like that before :scowl: )

But anyways Im a big Guy so I cant tell the difference between a 8 lbs bass and a 11 lbs bass, as long as its evenly balanced...

But IMHO the Bubinga isnt more trebly (sp?) its a litle darker, and has a more rugged tone, not silky smooth (Most warwicks dont have that tone anyways) But I liked it, As far as weight I dont know, As far as price... Thats (Subjective) because it looks better.

I was playing it through a Warwick Fet IV amp into an Aguilar 212. It sounded really nice.

Good luck.
  3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Attached Files:

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Bird 2

Attached Files:

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

Back to topic
    That salesguy is partly light about the weight issue - however, the ash corvettes are made of hard ash, not swamp ash, and it's a bit heavier.
    Yes, bubinga has lots of treble. but it growls nicely, too. Being bright makes it a nice slap-bass with fresh strings; however, I prefer my strings a bit broken-in, to tame the highs, and get more growl. It sounded quite "alive" even with 7-month-old strings.
    On the other hand, hard ash is a bit bright, as well. Think Marcus Miller.

Some more things to consider: the problem with many Ws is the thick neck, made of dense, heavy woods and the steel trussrods causing neck-dive. Actually, the Thumb - and presumably the Corvette, too - was designed to be played at chest-height, where it will balance well (my Corvette 6 likes angles between 0-30 degrees).
    So, having a lighter-wood body may result in a bit more neckdive.

Anyway, whichever you choose, I hope you'll like it.