Another "what is the amp for me" thread.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Gallien Kruger 400RB/210

8 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg BA115

5 vote(s)
  3. Yorkville BM400

1 vote(s)
  4. Labsystems C130

1 vote(s)
  5. Eden Nemesis NC210

12 vote(s)
  6. Warwick Sweet 15

0 vote(s)
  7. Warwick W-CL

0 vote(s)
  8. Warwick W-CLL

0 vote(s)
  9. Fender Bassman 400

5 vote(s)
  1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive been looking for a new bass amp for a while, and ive finally come across the final 9. Yes 9. :)

They are:

• Gallien Kruger 400RB/210
    • Ampeg BA115
    • Yorkville BM400
    • Labsystems C130
    • Eden Nemesis NC210
    • Warwick Sweet 15
    • Warwick W-CL
    • Warwick W-CLL
    • Fender Bassman 400

Im 110% sure that my next amp is going to be a combo. None of these I have played through, accept the Fender, and i liked it. Ive done my homework, and got most of the prices, and converted the ones I have into American :)

1) $1995AUS- $1097US
    2) ?
    3) $1699AUS- $934US
    4) $1250AUS- $687US
    5) $1695AUS- $932US
    6) ?
    7) ?
    8) ?
    9) $1995AUS- $1097US

Now for the other bits and pieces. I play Metal, Punk, Alternative, Rock and Hard Rock. I use my fingers, but on the odd occasion i use my plectrum (I dont kno if this is relevant, but it may help). I also would be putting a 4 and 5 string bass through it (not at the same time) :)

I like the fact that the GK can kick back to enhance the sound, and the Fender and Eden have the kind of controls I would like to use in an amp, as do the Warwicks. Just by looking at the picture, ive got a thing for the Nemesis :)

It may seem too much effort into putting into a little thread on TalkBass, but I just want to make sure I make the right decision, and you guys are the most "well informed" people i know :)

As for speakers, im not really fussed if it is a 2Xwhatever or 1Xwhatever.

Thanks a million for your input
  2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Fender Bassman 400.. only one I've had any long time exposure with; it's pretty nice, esp. with 5 strings. And get the 4x10 to go with it (mock 6x10 ;))
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Star Trek named their soon to be released movie after the Nemesis so I would go with that one.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I voted for the nemesis... because I owned one for a few years.. Its a good little combo amp... The EQ left something to be desired for.. but it had some good bottom end... but you may not like it.... if you are playing in a larger club.. it may not work for you.. I found that out the hard way.
  5. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I own the Nemesis you're thinking of getting, and its a great amp. Very versatile, very good sound... I'm in a punk-ish sort of band right now and I can dial in some great tones, though it takes a while to figure out how to use the EQ well

Edit: I'm not sure if $900+ is the cheapest you can get one for. They list at $800 something, and I got mine a couple years ago for $500 something on sale... keep lookin
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Of those mentioned I would recommend the Nemesis.

I was in the same position as you about a year ago, and I went with the Nemesis. I still havent regretted it one bit.

Its a killer amp with a killer sound. The EQ isnt as versitile as I would like, but thats ok since it sounds great without much tweaking anyways.

It has the best lowend response out of any of those amps you listed. I play my five string G&L L-2500 though it and it wounds killer on all notes, even at higher volumes.

I used to hate 10" speakers because I elt they lacked low end, but it wasnt untill I played through a Nemesis 4-10" combo that I found a company that makes 10" speakers with enough low end for me. Anything Eden is great, but the Nemesis is definetly the best way to go price wise.

The price you put seems a bit high to me, but I dont know about importing cost, so maybe that is the best you can find. Im pretty sure you can find a better price somewhere else though.

7. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    OK so ive narrowed it down to 4:

1. Eden Nemesis
    2. Labsystems
    3. Fender Bassman
    4. Gallien Kruger

-Eden, because all you guys like it and i like it :)
      -Labsystems, because it is the cheaper one, and sounds pretty good
      -Fender because it has all the controls I want and is reasonably priced
      - GK because it looks cool, has the controls, and can kick back.

I really, really dont know anymore...
      :rolleyes: :D
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Kirby.. i think you should go used.. I sold my Nemesis NC210 combo amp a few weeks ago to a fellow TBer for $450... including shipping.. look around.. the prices you listed in your first post seem high..
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would go with the Fender or the GK. Take your bass and play through both of them. Let your ears make the decision. And if you ever plan on getting a bass with a low B, play a decent 5 string through both of them too.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't forget that in the land of Oz, USA made bass equipment is a lot more expensive than in the States.
  11. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I emailed the centre, this is what they reccomended:

I wouldnt mind the s/h GK head, and a cheaper cab, i dunno, what do you guys think? Im kinda excited that there are cabs and heads out there for this cheap :) :D
  12. dprives

Apr 22, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Funny. I have a Nemesis NC210 and I’ve had an experience completely opposite to all the other posters. It was great when I was playing low volume, practicing in my house. But when I started playing with a band nemesis is the right word for it, it was nothing but trouble. Before it blew up just recently, it used to get super hot and cut out or shut down frequently. There’s a temperature sensor in there that will shut the amp down if it gets too hot. Lots of amps have that but I could only run with master volume at about half before it would kick in. I did have the mids and low cranked to about 3 o’clock though. It seemed to not shut down as often if I ran with flat eq. Granted I think I have an earlier model. I bought it in like 1996. I hear they may have added some heat sinks to deal with the problem so maybe that is solved (anyone know is there is any truth to that? I’d like to salvage this amp if I can get it running full on). It does have nice features: tuner out, DI, pre-out,speaker off, headphone jack. It just never had enough power to get over the guitar and a heavy-handed drummer.

Since it blew up recently I realized I needed a new amp with more juice. I wound up with a head with tube pre, but I looked at some SS heads too. The GK stuff was nice. Lots of power, decent tone. I tried some Ampeg SS stuff and the GK seemed to have a fuller sound. Definitely worth looking at. I know nothing about the company though. Seriously check out the head/cab option. You'll be gald in the long run.
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a Nemesis 210. It sounds fine in small to medium settings and is reasonably loud. As far is dependability, it has been fine.

I bought that GK that you mentioned and took it back two days later. Without an extension, the GK 400RB 210 is only 150 watts. 150 watts through 2 10s isn't much punch.

It sounded like a GK. If you like them, you'll like the sound.
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe Nemesis has added the heatsink as part of the chasis since you bought yours.

I frequently run mine at full master with the preamp set to just a slight amount of clipping with no problems.

I usually dont have the eq maxed out though.

15. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I feel sorry for you. Those are some pretty awful prices. If I were in Australia, I might even consider buying used amps from another country and having a tech convert them to Australian AC voltage. But out of those, I would go with the Nemesis. The GK is nice too.
  16. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have decided to go for the head and the cab combo...i give you the cab (take no notice of the head :D )

17. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    and the second hand head :

This is the email i got from the bass centre giving me all the details and that:

Yeah, what do you guys think?
  18. kirby, are we really not "well informed"?

my vote goes to Ampeg or Fender, but it looks like you made up your mind already.
  19. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Nemesis! I have a 2x10 cab and its great. Super punchy, really cuts through.
  20. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Whoa, this is an oldie of a thread :eek: :D