Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another what to buy thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Mar 16, 2006.

1. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    So some put an offer on my current rig and im gonna give her up.

So ill have about 1500 to put towrds my new amp & cab.

I play mostly expiermental and progressive type music (think mars volta, at the drive in, sparta, circa survive, fall of troy, Bear vs shark) So i basically need this amp to be able to create a nice john paul jones clean sound but i also need to be able to add some nice warm grit to it like an Ampeg can. I also need my amp to be pretty loud considering i play in a band with 2 guitar players and a keyboards. Other than that im really not concerned about size and weight and i like the sound of 10s and this amp & cab needs to be available on ebay or on the Web.

Right now im thinking allong the lines of a Ampeg tube head into an ampeg 4X10"

But im really looking for any recomendations.
    So help me out

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Ampeg SVT-CL (their cheapest all tube head) costs $1500. What exactly did you have that you are going to sell?

3. yea i played out of my first ampeg SVt-cl yesterday at guitar center and it was pretty sick. i only had it on like 2 or 3 volume with the gain on like 5 and it was pretty damn loud. i'm not sure but it seemed like one of those heads that could just do most types of music. and if you like stuff like the fall of troy (which are amazing), tim their bassist uses an ampeg SVT-CL.

4. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Yeah i love Tim i love that gritty tone he gets with his head however last time i saw him he also had an old russian big muff and the boss bass distortion pedal so he could have been using those too

5. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    Get a Carvin B1500 and run 1250 watts into a 4ohm 4x10 Avatar Kappa Pro and have enough money to buy a 6 space rack, rack tunner and power conditioner! My 2 cents!

6. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Yeah i played one of those like two years ago tons of power behind it. They are just up the street from me i should go back there

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Nothing against Carvin, but they sound NOTHING like an Ampeg SVT-CL. But if you don't necessarily want an Ampeg sound, they are definately worth checking out.

8. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Yeah im not limiting myself to ampeg products its just that seems to be the standard for most of my favorite musicans who tone i enjoy. except JPJ played exclusivly through SS haha

9. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    You are right not in the same ball park as a CL, but my friend owns a SVT4 pro and a B1500 and right now he is only giging the B1500. His main argument to that is that he feels that the B1500 is a more natural tone of his bass, and he said that that way the ampeg doesn't have its weekly go to the shop to get fixed fix! lookjojoisplaid the b1500 came out a about 6 months ago its a new design, getting great reviews from multiple sources.

10. If you want to be really loud without eating to mych Watts
    and want to have solid rock sound..

go Trace Elliot

I didn't like Ampeg SVT series except 3Pro head, but it has not as much 'point' and focus as TE (where I don't loose the point even when playing tremolo on B-string)

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You should. Try the B1500 with some of their BRX cabs too. If you like them, you can save some money on a system purchase. And be sure to try the head with varying settings of the "drive" control. It's kind of a subtle control, but it can add a nice little vibe to the basic sound of the head. I agree that you won't get the B1500 to really *mimic* an Ampeg sound, but I think it's a terrific head anyway, and you may well get a sound you like better. I did.:bassist:

12. when i saw them at the continental in nyc he only had the boss overdrive pedal.. he told me that he just stop using the russian big muff recently.

13. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Yeah i love trace eilliots. My guitar player in my last band use to play though a a 300 watt 12 series with a by 4X10" and he let me borrow it for a long time. I really liked the sound of the amp its has its own signature sound. But in the lower register i got super muddy.

14. I'll admit that I'm not the biggest audiophile when it comes to my gear, but I've got an SVT 4Pro that totally nails the tone I have always looked for. I also use an Avatar 212Neo cab which isnt all that, but it suits me great and was a really good value. I'd say you could get a Neo stack (212 and 210 or 410) so you could get the portability when you needed it and have a full stack at the same time. This paired with a SVT 4 Biamped would sound pretty killer imo for around 1500 bucks (used head, new cabs).