Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another "Where do I start thread" (Blues Edition)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Circus, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Hey everyone! The singer from my new band is really getting me into blues, mostly just by listening to some of the songs he's written over the years, and by talking to the old guitarrist from the band. I just wanted to know, where to start with blues? Something with very solid bass playing in it would definately be a bonus, I am sure there is tons out there, just need a good place to start from. Thanks!

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    As far as Blues Bass playing, You would have a hard time going wrong with these CD's:

BB King: Anthology (Jerry Jermont played on a lot of it)
    Robben Ford: Talk to your Daughter (Roscoe Beck-a bass blues monster)
    Anything By John Mayall: John had some incredible bass players (Andy Frazier-John McVie-Larry Taylor among others)

Hope that gets you started

3. Some other popular artist to check out are

Albert Collins
    Albert King
    Buddy Guy
    Muddy Waters
    T-bone Walker
    John Lee Hooker

Roscoe Beck has a great video out. I had it on VHS, I'm not sure if it is out on DVD. There is a section of the video where he runs through just about every standard blues line. If you are learning the blues this will help a lot.

4. how about Stevie Ray Vaughan?
    or Eric Clapton?

as far as solid basslines, personally i think the best bass lines come from the chicago blues...although texas blues can be killer too!

5. Thanks guys, I'm loving all of this stuff! Great bass playing, great tunes all together! Lady by John Mayall and Jeff Beck has some cool bass in it.

6. Check out these:

James Blood ULmer
    Jeff Beck
    Jack Bruce
    Derek Trucks
    Allman Brothers Band
    Gov't Mule

7. I'm in to lots of Dr. Feelgood the last month:) Very good music, and a lot of what they play is just a 12-bar blues. Just shows there's so much you can do with the same chords:)

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm particularly fond of the following:

Junior Wells
    Buddy Guy
    BB King
    Stevie Ray Vauhan
    James Cotton
    Albert Collins
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Rogers
    Muddy Waters