Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another which bass poll?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jul 19, 2004.

Which bass?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2004.
  1. Ibanez Roadgear RD500

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Ibanez ATK

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Fender MIM P-bass

21 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. other

28 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm looking to shell out around $400 for a good bass to have at shows and hopefully become my main bass. I've been looking at three specific basses. I'm playing with a pick in a rock band. SO which one.

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I voted with the Roadgear but after seeing "playing with a pick in a rock band", I wish I could change my vote to the ATK. You honestly don't have a need for the front J pickup if you're only using a pick. I'd get the ATK and boost the bass and mid.

I definatly wouldn't get the P-Bass. P-Basses to me sound inconsistent and you also get that P-Bass "spike" on every note, which can be good thing (like Alphonso Johnson) or a bad thing (%90 of the people in the world who play P-Basses). If you were in a punk band, I'd go with the p-bass if you wanted an intentionally trashy tone, but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

For this price range, the ATK or a Stingray Copy is probably your best bet. The Roadgear is also good, but you'd be paying extra for things you don't need.

3. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hey, i voted P-Bass because its a good, solid, all round bass. Although i strongly recommend you try out the Fender Jazz Bass aswel

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    There's literally hundreds of rock & punk bassists, that play a P-bass w/ a pick... If you're set on using a pick, it almost seems like a no brainer to me.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I shouda described the sound I go for better. I ike a good hi-fi sound with cut throat highs and scooped mids, and a good growly low end.

~Patrick

6. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Rock. Pick. P bass.

7. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    you can't go wrong with a p-bass and there is no preamp or battery to fail or cause problems. Also, the p lends itself to other gigs like roots, blues, funk, reggae...

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    ATK for sure.

9. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :bawl: Man that thing has such an ugly look to it.

I voted the P-bass as I honestly do believe it is the best out of the options and fits the criteria, plus look how many other pickups you can get for it, pickguards are plentiful too.

10. Also seeing as you want that sound, A P-Bass with a Seymour Duncan quarter pound pickup should do you fine, a set of nickel strings, and there you go. :D

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Get a used Spector NS2000/4. You'll love it.

12. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dee Dee Ramone played a P Bass with a pick.
    Always sounded good.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ya know, I had the same exact thought...

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Roger Waters, Pink Floyd, Precision bass with a pick.

Argue with THAT.

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Get the P, you can upgrade the pu's and bridge later. I'm anti-Ibanez after having 3 of them. They were all crap to some degree. I like my P-bass.

16. Get the P, it will do exactly what you described and be a reliable bass for a long time.

17. If you decide to go with a P, I'd go up to GC and tell Billy to track you down one of their Natural Ash jobs. If I can come up with another $500 before they stop making them, I'll definitely score one.

18. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Sigkill, are you stalking me? Billy is my dawg. He's gotten me some great deals, like $550 for a 1001RB-II. THe P-bass I have in mind is the one you mentioned. The Natural/Rosewood MIM. Billy said he'd do it for $400, no tax. I've always wanted a Natural/Rosewood P-bass to add a black pearl pickguard, but that Trans Blue Ibanez RD500 is just sucking me in, and I can get it for $339, plus $80 shipping.

Why do I waste everyone's time like this.

~Patrick