1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another "which bass should I buy" thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toastfuzz, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, another one of these, however I DO have specifications and HAVE done research already, this is mostly just to get general opinions and comparisons.

Come summer I'll have about $500-600 to spend a new bass, and I feel an upgrade from my Ibanez GSR200 is in order (plus I want a 5'er.) I'm looking for something with tonal variety that can act as a standalone bass.

Main sounds I'm looking for is strong midrange (think Ryan Martinie's sound for metal, Les Claypool-ish punch for rock and everything else). But I also want to be able to dial in a solid dub reggae or grunge it up a-la the 90's. Of course, the band I'm in is mostly Zeppelin and Queen inspired, so a retro sound is also needed. See why I want tonal variety yet??

As for the physical nature of the bass, I'm pretty open to new things. I want tighter string spacing than my current Ibanez 4, but don't want super-tight because I still want it to be slappable. I also want a model that really brings out the wood grain, the least colored stain possible, but this isnt too important.

One more point, I'm willing to buy new or used, if I find a good deal on a better used instrument for cheaper I'd definitely take it.

Heres what I've been looking at:

G&L Tribute L-2500
    Ibanez ATK 305
    Spector 5 (don't know which model the store had)
    Lakland 55-01

2. mojtahedi

mojtahedi

Mar 1, 2008
    hey, i got the same dilema as you buddy,

sorry i cant recond any but is the gsr200 a good buy? is it good for slapping?

lol sorry bout asking you the questions lol

3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    As its the bass I learned how to play on, I can't really compare it to others. I play it through a Peavey 300 1x15 and usually boost it with alittle overdrive through an Ibanez pedal, and it sounds real good. If I didn't want a 5-string I probably wouldn't even bother buying a new bass, to tell the truth. Not as much on-bass controls as I'd like, but through everything I can get it to slap real nice, really close to a Claypool slapping sound (listen to Lacquerhead from Primus' Antipop album, thats usually what I try to sound like)

4. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Lakland 55-01 would get my vote.

5. Crane

Crane

May 26, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes, gsr200s are good, I have had one for a year and a half.
    It plays great, and has a good tone if you play it through a good amp.
    I can't say anything for slapping though, I've never really had the desire to learn how to.

6. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    As an owner of Spector i'd suggest a Spector Legend or a Rebop at that price range.
    Their B string is awsome!
    :)

7. mojtahedi

mojtahedi

Mar 1, 2008
    thanks , but would you say its better than a squier VM bass?

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not to be rude, but do you think it fits the criteria I asked about, or are you just supporting Spector cuz you own one?

9. mojtahedi

mojtahedi

Mar 1, 2008
    ive heard a lot of good things about the 4 string atk, my dads neighbour plays it and it is awsome especialy when EQ'd properly.

10. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    I havent had the chance to play all of those models but it looks like you want this bass to be able to dial in a LOT of sounds.

I have played the Ibanez, and the Spector though, the Ibanez is great at nailing the EBMM sound, but IMHO not a great deal more, Im sure a good EQ could smooth it out. Great fit and finish, but weighs a tonne (which I like though).

The lower end Spectors are hit and miss. My buddy had one that was about the smoothest playing 5-string that I'd ever played under 700. Very versatile too, pre-amp wasnt my favorite, but I'm sure that it would be more than sufficient for your needs. Just make sure the one you get you can play and inspect. I've seen some gems and some lemons at that price range.

Lakland, I've never tried one but I remember a few people posting that it "didnt really nail that ballsy hard-rock tone". So Im not sure its what you're looking for.

G & L. I've never played one but have heard nothing but fantastic things about them and their versatility and quality. Someone on here said once there wasnt a sound he couldnt find. You should problably give one of those some extensive testing, plus wood grain!

Sorry if I havent helped much

11. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Haha you helped plenty, I've been researching this more and I keep hearing people singing G&L praises. I played the Tribute down at the store today and I loved the feel of it, nice spacing and a good neck, I think that'll be my next bass.

12. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    No, of course i read what ur needs are, and i think it can fit in. Of course you should try and hear one for yourself, because it's always a matter of taste also.:)

13. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    i haven't played a G&L, but i've heard alot about them, and EVERY comment has been positive. i haven't heard anyone mention a single flaw with them. i kinda wanna check them out too.

14. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    G&L - I've had the L-2000 & it has miles of tone variation. The Tribute 5 would put a serious weapon in your hands.