Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another which bass should I buy ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, May 6, 2005.

1. I know this question is asked all the time but if everyone can stand it again. I'm a guitar and piano player who recently picked up the bass, a cheapish Peavey Milennium starter. Little did I know how addicting the instrument is. So, now I'm looking for a mid-priced bass. I currently play classic rock and blues but am heading more towards jazz with the bass. I've tried several and have narrowed my possible choices to the following in order of preference:
    G&L Tribute L-2000, Lakland 44-01, Fender Deluxe Active Jazz, Fender hwy 1 jazz, Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special, Fender hwy 1 P-bass. All can be had for under 700.00. Any more and my wife may divorce me.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Out of the basses that you mentioned, I would get the Lakland or the G&L Tribute.

But they are all quality basses, you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Play them all a lot, so you can see if one of them feels a little uncomfortable, or if one sticks at as being a little bit more comfortable than the others.

Also, play them all through the same model of amp you are using. If the shop doesn't sell it, bring your amp with you.

A bass that sounds great through a $3000 Ampeg or Eden setup at a music store may not sound that great through your amp.

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Good advice.

Personally, among those, I prefer the Lakland, but I'm a little surprised you didn't list the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz, which IMO is the best buy in the Fender line, and right in your price range.

I noticed there's a new Lakland 44-01 on ebay right now for around $500. Pretty sweet deal. How wrong can you go? If you don't like it, I'm sure someone here would love to take it off your hands without you losing too much $$$.

That being said, it's always best to try before you buy. I've been surprised at how some basses felt to me, in ways I didn't like. Eventually, a bass player can get used to almost anything, but one hates to start a relationship off on the wrong foot, so to speak. :D

P.S. I hear you on the wife thing. I'd just ordered my Lakland DJ5 a few weeks ago when I suddenly now find myself with GAS for a Tacoma Thunderchief Acoustic bass. She wasn't too happy to hear about that. I gotta keep my mouth shut and lay low for a while. :(

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    excellent advice , it's the only "proof" you can get for [yourself].

5. I forgot about the Geddy Lee which i've seen suggested here before. The only drawback is I don't particularly like the black color. The wife thing is tough. She's an artist but its hard to compare 700 dollar guitars to 10 dollar paint brushes.