1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Which Bass Should I Get Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Apr 21, 2009.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Ok so I'm just looking for opinions on what my my next bass should be.

Here's the deal, right now I only have one bass, my Sadowsky Metro. Its awesome.

I'm going to be recording with a producer in a pro studio for the first time in the coming months so I'd like to have at least 1 other nice bass to take with me.

I play rock music so I want something thats well suited for that (which could be just about any bass) that sounds great on recordings as well as live.

My price limit is around $2000. Here's what I've been thinking

P Bass: Well more like a P/J. I know P basses are the standard everything bass, but, I'm really not a P bass kind of guy. I'm thinking a P/J would work better for me. I'd probably go for a Sadowsky Metro PJ but I think that might be too similar sounding to my Jazz.

Rickenbacker: Played one and loved it. A little worried about the single coil hum. I heard a few stories of people not recording with their ricks cause of excess noise. Could be user error though, so I dont know how I'm feelin about that.

Something Modern: Maybe something emg loaded like a nice Spector. I found a Bolt on Ken Smith that looks amazing but I've never played one, I do dig their tone, but I'm not sure it would work for my style of music.

Other: You tell me!

Basses I definately dont want: Not really interested in EBMM stuff. I love their basses but thats not the vibe I'm going for. Also Warwicks arent really my thing, and I dont want to save $1900 and just get an SX lol.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The hum isn't that bad most of the time, but if you want the classic Ric sound (well, the closest thing to it) but not the single coil hum, try a 4004Cii - they sound and play like a dream IMO. Look damn good too.

(I have a 4003, my fiancee has a 4004 so get to play both regularly).

3462116089_d35e4e7ef0_b.

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Peavey Cirrus
    Ibanez SR5000E
    Gibson Thunderbird -- I don't like Gibsons all that much, but Thunderbirds have good rock tone and those White Thunderbird IV's are really sharp looking (I mean good looking, not B.C. rich sharp, haha :scowl: )

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    My instructor who has a vast collection of bass's ranging from a Victor Bailey, a few 8 and 10 strings to a few Alembics. He picked up a T-40 a few months ago and he uses it all the time. He made the comment last lesson that the bass records beautifully. He said that this was not expected considering that he bought it for $!70.00. Sometimes the deals are just as great. I have one myself and can't imagine getting rid.

5. Idiotpod

Idiotpod

Feb 11, 2009
    Got Djent?
    Fender Aerodyne
    Fender Jaguar

Take a look at the Ibanez-basses to.

Those are my ideas for now.

6. Peavey Cirrus
    Ric 4003 + noise gate?
    Sad metro modern
    Lakland 44-02

7. Lakland 4-94
    Lakland Bob Glaub USA p/j

8. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I can only speak to my Rick but the single coil hum on mine is pretty darn minimal. Much less (for example) than I experienced with my J-Bass. If the only thing holding you back on a Rick is "fear of hum" - why not borrow one (or buy somewhere with a reasonable return policy) and try it out?

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree with the Ric suggestions. I have recorded with my 4003 and had no problems with hum. Of course if you are not touching the strings (or other metal part of the bass), the hum will increase.

If you are looking for "studio quiet", a USA Cirrus will fill the bill and cost a lot less if buying used.