another which bass to record with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 24, 2004.

Which bass to record with?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2004.
  1. Fender P-bass w/ Basslines SPB-3

52 vote(s)
  2. MusicMan SUB w/ active 2 band eq

27 vote(s)
  3. Ibanez ATK 100

4 vote(s)
  1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    My band is finally entering the studio next Saturday to record 5-6 songs. I'm doing alot of last minute prepping and getting in some gear I'll need. I'm torn on which bass to use. I have my P-bass, which is currently having an SPB-3 put into it, my SUB, which I'm selling but would give a last chance to record with, and an Ibanez ATK 100, which will be here this week. I plan on running my line through an EHX Big Muff Pi and hopefully a borrowed chorus pedal into my GK 1001RB-II, DIed. I'm playing a powerpop/indie style with a pick mostly, but I do alittle slap. I'm not looking to use them all, but I'd like one definitive sound. What do you think?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This isn't a stock Q & A type of deal. Case in pont: we recorded our album, and the songs that didn't make the album, Virgin released as an EP. One of those songs, "Suburb Thuggin", has taken off and the label wants us to do a video for it. That song was recorded with an Essex Jazz copy. We had Fenders, Warwicks, a borrowed Sadowsky, and a Spector in the studio, but the Essex just had the sound the producer was looking for. My advice: take all 3, because you never know which one will "speak" to the producer.
  3. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Ditto. And all with new strings.
  4. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.'s the classic studio sound and because I don't care for the tone of your other two choices.

That said, really only you can tell. Better take all three.

Good luck,
    Tom H.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Precision if you want that tone.. SUB if you want a more bitey aggressive trebley tone. If you are playing with a pick id say the SUB to give it a more hifi sound or whatever you want to call it. But i would bring all.
  7. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    I'm just a dumb lil' lurker. But, I'd say all three and maybe, try to beg/borrow a couple more. It's all in the sound and the wider a spread you have the better your chances of hitting it.
  8. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  9. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
  10. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, the SUB is offer the roster since I sold it today. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Ibanez will be here before Thursday. I still have no clue what sort of tone I want. Of the possible basses I could borrow, I know of a Stingray 5, a MIA Jazz Bass, possibly a Stingray 4, an Ibanez ATK 300, assorted Ibanez SRs, and prolly more I'm forgetting, but it'd be a real hassle keeping up with them all. I'm prolly going to end up fitting the ATK and P-bass with new strings, and seeing get both in a shoot out.
  11. I'd say take em both for the heck of it, but the P would definitely be my choice.
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree with a previous post that you never know what the producer or engineer is really looking for. So, bring all of them.

That said, my preference would be the P, based on what you've told us about the project. I recently did some session work for an alternative folk-rock artist, and both the artist and the studio engineer were very pleased with the tone that I pulled out of my MIM P bass, strung with flatwounds, and upgraded with SD Basslines Hot pickups. In order to get some extra warmth and growl, I ran my bass through the tube preamp of my Eden WT-550 head which was then DIed into the board. I usually go for a bright, punchy, Hi Fi, round wound, funk-style tone on my 5-strings; however, for this project, I decided that a darker, fat, warm growly tone would be better. The P Bass was the ticket.
  13. As an engineer I would say bring everything you have, especially anything that inspires you to play!!! Depending on the kind of gear in the studio, a good engineer and/or producer can work with whatever you are comfortable playing....(Almost any bass through a Neve preamp sounds good!!) However if YOU have a particular tone in your head then stick with it and do ANYTHING you have to do to get it...I promise you, you will ALWAYS regret it if you don't hear on the record the sound you hear in your head...I can not recommend an Avalon U-5 enough to use as your DI send!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will GREATLY improve your final tracks........

If you don't know what tone you want give the engineer some room to work and you can come up with something together...I know guys like Al Schmitt or Bruce Swedien can make a bass made out of "bubblegum and balsa wood" sound good and make a good sounding bass sound UNBELIEVABLE if you give them the room to firm but be flexible...remember the person who is tweaking the knobs is going to have to put their name on it when it is finished to you know...Good luck and play to the ends of your own personal limits!!

Peace and Chicken Grease,

14. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, I have no idea who the producer even is. I haven't met him but from what I know is that he is the bass player for a local band, and has a Fender P-bass, Mesa 400+, and Ampeg 6x10. I may see if I could take the advantage of that. Maybe he'll have gear I'm not aware of. *keeps fingers crossed for a Stingray*