1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another "Which Cab" Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Oct 9, 2013.

1. I've been doing a lot of reading around and I've come to realize that I just need to ask a direct question.

I currently have an Avatar B410 Neo. It's not as punchy as I'd like it to be. I'm looking to switch to a more modular rig such as 2 2x10s or 2 2x12s.

Reason being I don't play out a whole lot and would like to keep 1 small cab in the apartment, 1 small cab in storage and bring them together for a gig. It would also be nice to just take a smaller cab to practices/jams if I don't need a 410.

My head is a GK MB800. The cabs I've looked at are Ampeg 210AV and the older GK Neo 212. The problem with the Ampeg is that it only handles 200 watts and my head puts out way too much juice for it. I don't want to risk accidentally damaging the speakers. The problem with the GK is that the older versions are hard to come by at a good price (>$300). I'm only interested in the older 212 model because I don't like how much wider the new 212s are. The reason I like both the Ampeg and the GK are their shape, speaker arrangement, and sound.

I play mostly post rock (soundwise, from Explosions in the Sky to Russian Circles). I like a fair amount of lows, but also the punchyness from a sealed cab. My budget is around $300/cab. I know I like the sound of the GK and Ampeg, but not sure what else would fit the bill.

Okay, go!

2. I would see if you can find some used GK MB115's.

3. I'm not a huge fan of the mb series. I tried the MB115 and MB210 combos. Neither of which I liked. They didn't have as much low end as I wanted. I'm not a huge fan of 15s in general. The only one I've tried and liked was an Eden 215. But that's just too big and too heavy for me right now.

4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I played a show with a band who's bassist was using an avatar 410 and it would pound you in the chest. I wish I could get my GK/Ampeg rig to sound like his. He was using a Genz Benz head and a Sans Amp Preamp, Not sure which ones though.

5. I would suggest you try the cabs, as a combo makes a lot of sacrafices.

With the MB800 I would also keep my eye out for a used 15/6. Probably can be had for ~$600.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you're sensible with the volume knob, two 210av's will be fine with that head. However, if you're looking for slamming volume levels, might not be my first choice. They're not quiet but they're not crazy loud, either.

7. I was interested in the cabs for a time, but my interest waned as I read some opinions that they're not as good as the neo cabs. I believe RAG himself described them as having a "smaller sound" compared to the neos

The fearful cabs have been intriguing to me lately. I just haven't heard enough sound samples for me to be sure that they aren't too hifi for my tastes

If I did go the 210av route, I would likely try to move to the MB500 (tube or standard version) just to give myself more peace of mind

8. I would contact TB users paparoof and Nightlyraider. They are both in your town, and have fEARful's.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What impedance is your B410? IF it is 4 ohms, and IF you had a 2 ohm capable head, you could get a B210 with the same drivers. The 210 by itself would be nice, the 410 could do bigger stuff, and 210 + 410 (2.67 ohms) would do the heavy lifting.

Don't get me wrong, I have a GK MB800 and dig it. Yet, having a Mesa M9 lets me mix and match my Epifani UL1 210 and 410 cabs.

10. You sir are quite resourceful!

My avatar is 8 ohms. So I could get an 8 ohm 210, but 6 drivers is overkill for my uses. I'd much rather stick with 4, or around the speaker surface area of a 410

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    H8full ??? may be good for doom/death metal...

12. For right now, I'm not looking to go the DIY route.