1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another "which cab to pair with my LMII" thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moe45673, Jul 16, 2012.

1. I own a Little Mark II and have for about 4 or 5 years. Great head.... but I don't primarily play bass and haven't played steadily in a band in years, though the occasional gig/jam does come around and I have used it for that.

Anyhow, I recently joined a great band as the bass player and was using a friend's Frankenstein monster of a cab with my LMII (friend is actually a genius with electronics and such, as well as a kickass guitarist). It sounded pretty good but one of the wires kept coming out of the speaker, which meant unscrewing it from the box, clipping it back in, then screwing it all up again. Today it happened twice in one practise and I decided that that's enough: I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the cab I've had my eye on. A Bergantino AE112.

But the AE series is discontinued.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Bergantino HD112 based off absolutely no knowledge of it other than guessing it's the next generation of the AE series, and a Gallien Kruger Neo 112.

I've narrowed it down to both because they're readily available and I see people mention them in other threads. The GK I've actually rented before for gigs and it sounds pretty darned good. Plus, it's only 455 bucks for GK vs 689 for the Bergie..... and it's 30 lbs GK vs 44 for the Bergie.

However, if the Bergie really is THE cab to get, I will spend the cash with no regrets. My options for buying cabs at the moment are:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/38/Guitars/Bass_Amps.htm

http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_135

http://www.clubbass.ca/

Any of you Toronto people know of other stores here that I'm totally missing out on, please let me know.

My needs aren't so particular.... I just want a clear sound out of a lightweight cab that goes reasonably loud. As others have said, it's hard to find a cab that this head sounds bad out of!

The LMII is 300W at 8 ohms and 500W at 4 ohms

I'd also consider the GK Neo 115, but I fear it may be too boomy

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you are playing in a rock band with acoustic drums a single 112 will not be loud enough IMO/IME.

I'd say a single 115 is minimum

That said, there are a couple UL112s in the TB classifieds right now and they mate really well with the LMII (I used to own both). Also the epi ps 112 is great too.

Ultimately, it comes down to how much money you want to part with. If you want cheap with no shipping charges check out craigslist. Traynor and yorkville are usually good bargains. If you dont like heavy stay away from Peavey and Ampeg.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Take a look at Barefaced cabs. Expensive, but worth it, IMO. A Compact would do (1x15). I'm thinking about a Compact and a Midget (1x12) on top. Actually, a Midget would come closest to any 112 doing what you do. But, I agree that a 115 would be better, overall. Two 15s, even moreso.

4. Thanks for the responses. Based off the thread I made about this 4 years ago (really, I haven't revisited this topic since then as only now it became an issue), a number of folks said I'd be fine with an AE112 for the short term. I guess I'd need to get a few more opinions.

Should I go for the GK Neo 115, then? Is it clear enough and not too boomy? All these cabs are 8 ohms.

The band is a rock band, but the music (all originals) is a mixture of genres influenced by 90s alternative (Better Than Ezra, etc), classic rock, and jam bands. The drummer's great so the volume isn't excessive.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I haven't played thru a GK Neo 115, but I have used older gk 115s and 410s and they sounded fine to me. Just as good as any other mid priced cab. If you find it boomy cut the bass and boost low mids a tad. When I owned an LMII I used a Boss GEB7 graphic eq with it and found it really useful. Boosting 120hz really takes out the boom. I never really dug the LMII's eq on its own, though I did really like the VLE.

I also used an Epi UL115 and found I wasn't lacking for volume with that cab and I think you should be fine with that gk neo 115. The great thing about getting an 8 ohm cab is that down the road you can always add another and have alot more volume at your disposal if required.

6. Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll try out the GK then (the Berg is at another store). I have a Boss EQ-20 I can tear off my guitar board and throw it in the FX loop, if it's too boomy.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I suggest that you have the guitarist solder the wires to permanently attach them.

Also, save your cab cash until you see how the band works out.

Good luck.

8. Excellent advice, but I still think this purchase is a good idea and not as much an impulse buy as you'd think.

This band appears good.... the guitarist and drummer are super nice, the guitarist(singer) writes the songs, they're both excellent musicians, they practise two times a week, I like the songs, they like the way I interpret the bass in them, and a bunch of other reasons. In short, this band is one of the most perfect in terms of how I've gelled with them combined with drive and commitment to actually stick together and work on the band dynamic and original music. There's a reason they are the first band I've joined in 6 years (not that I've been scouring the classifieds this whole time or anything).

Even if the band doesn't work out, I needed a bass cab anyhow and it was always bothering me I didn't have one. I do play with others at least twice a year and it would be nice to have something to use other than a bass Roland Microcube.

Thirdly, the cab is at the guitarist's in-laws where we practise, which is a 40 minute drive in one direction for me, and the engineering genius guitarist is about 30 minutes away from that. Plus, like most geniuses, he's a bit scatterbrained and wouldn't get to soldering it for weeks.

In short, this is the push I needed to finally go out and buy this cab. I could just as easily have not bought the LM2 until I really needed it and was always glad to have it sitting around, the few times I needed it. Cab is the same thing.

9. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    The LMII sounds very good with the Berg AE212 (well worth finding one used, IMO). I also like it a lot with the Carvin LS1503 and my Schroeder 21012L.

With the MB/Berg and the MB/Carvin, I'm going for different flavors of a tone that's in the general neighborhood of "channel strip-->studio monitor." Both of those cabs are relatively even (for bass cabs, that is), so they'll support other tones if you want more color or hair on your basic tone. They also take pedals well. The Berg handles more juice w/o complaint, and it's a bit more hi-fi. That said, the Carvin was just a fraction of the Berg's price.

Compared to the Berg and the Carvin cabs, the Schroeder is more colored (although it's still much more even than the signature mid-forward tone of Schroeder's smaller cabinets). I lean on the 21012L for gigs that call for a hairy rock tone or an R&B w/ flats tone at high volume.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I suggest you get the cab repair for backup even if you buy another one. And you can use it at rehearsal instead of hauling your new cab around.

Have the genius:) bring his soldering iron/solder/flux to rehearsal next time and if you get the back off the cab before he gets there, he can do the repair in a few minutes before rehearsal starts.

Here's a thread you may want to check out: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/why-there-no-vertical-410-cabs-813470/

11. I haven't used the cabs you specified, but of the cabs I've played my LittleMark (III and Tube800) through, my favourite is an older, discontinued Eden D210MBX cab. I imagine the 210XLT would sound similar. It really works incredibly well with the MarkBass eq and filters, even better than the 410 Eden I also own. If you're looking for a smaller cab, I'd check out other Eden 210s before you make a decision.

12. Thanks for the responses! I ended up buying the GK Neo 115-III. I tried it out in the store with a Markbass head (not a Little Mark, but some other one with 3 vertical bars that light up when you turn it on) and it sounded pretty great. Clear enough but the low frequencies that you feel rather than hear were there and huge. Can't wait to bring it to practise tomorrow.

FYI: Right now we practise at the guitarist's in-laws house, so I can leave my gear there. Normally they practise at the engineering genius guitarist's place but his wife just had a baby (hence why he let me borrow the cab). I needed a cab anyhow, was just waiting for an excuse. There will be very little transporting of my gear, I'll use whatever they have at rehearsal spaces and will lug it around to gigs.

Also, the GK is way lighter than the frankenstein cab and easier to transport.

Btw, a bit of help. My wife is upset with the size of the cab and thinks it takes up too much space. I told her that my guitar bedroom amp, a mid-2000s Roland Cube 60, can sit on top of it so it can be out of the way when not in use. I'm worried about how much weight the GK can support on top. I'd imagine a lot, but how much weight can I put on top of it before the cab collapses in on itself?

The genius isn't going to the guitarist's in-laws place (~30 minute drive). He let me borrow the cab and I took it. To access the speaker, I take the grill off the front (it's there with velcro), and then unscrew the cone (about 8 screws) from the box, then pull the cone out, reattach the wire (it's a metal clip), try to get it as tight as possible, and put the cone back in and screw it all up. The red wire is in securely, it's just the yellow wire. Last time, we duct taped the wire to the thing and about halfway through the next song the sound cut out again. We then switched to an acoustic format to finish the rehearsal.

After tomorrow's rehearsal, I'm bringing the cab back to the genius's place and he can fix it how he likes.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    First of all, congrads on the new cab. Sounds like a good choice for you. As to the weight on top of the cab, unless its like 300LBS I would not worry about. Its expected that (heavy) cabs and possibly tube amps will be put on top by the engineers who designed it... especially if its a 115. But I am no expert on such things. :)