Another, which one should I buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle_Sam, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Uncle_Sam

Jan 27, 2006
    I am currently looking for a new bass. I play alternitive,funk,rock style. I have recently played a dean pro 4, at the local guitar store, and i like the sound it makes. The price of the dean is 549. The other bass that i have had my eyes on is a musicman S.U.B. I have found it used for around 500. So, i was wondering what would be the best buy. Also on the S.U.B i was thinking of putting emg's on it.

Thanks you very much for your time!
  2. sub, i had one for a few days and it was nice. its not a stingray but its nice.

personally way better then any dean i've played.
  3. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    are those the only ones you are looking at? if not, i recommend a used Carvin LB70. yes, i do love Carvin.
  4. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    With $500 in your pocket your options aremuch broader than you state - keep looking. Your budget will get you better than you think.
  5. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I second this.
    Unless you've fallen in love with those two, keep looking around. $500 is really a sweet spot for basses, especially used ones.
  6. Carvin's are nice but a new LB70 is also $300 more then what he would spend, unless he can find a used one or gets a B4
  7. If you really like the SUB, then my suggestion to you is to save up a bit more cash, and try to snag a used Sting Ray or Sterling from eBay or get in contact with Beaver from Bass Central and see what he has in stock, EBMM-wise. I have learned that there is no substitute for the real deal, and saving up is more gradifying that settling for less.

However, on the other hand, I played an OLP, EBMM Sting Ray, and SUB back to back to back, and the OLP beat the SUB by far.

8. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Look used on the bay ;)

Some great deals!
  9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Believe it or not, the new Yamaha BB basses are GREAT for rock and funk. They can be had for less than you are looking to spend. A used Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass would be good as well.

Or you could save a little extra money to buy a used Lakland 4402!
  10. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea i know how much Carvins cost, but the used value is extremely good for these. especially if you look on Ebay. they occasionally have awesome deals.