1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another "which one"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iamthebassplayr, Sep 5, 2008.

1. But this one is more like comparing apples to giant genetically enhanced mutated apples... :smug:

Little Mark II or MarkBass SD800

So, I have enough money to afford a MarkBass SD800. With my current set up, right now it would be a bit overkill (we call that headroom, right?:bag:). I do plan on getting a larger rig in the future. Also I do use a Bergantino 322 at church and that thing likes a lot of juice...So the SD800 would definitely feed it..

There is no pre/post DI switch on the Little Mark, which is something nice with the SD800, but I have a DI pedal that is goes in my line which could be "dry" and I could use the on amp for the post EQ... not a push of a button mid gig kinda fix, but hey *shrugs*

I've used the search function and have been going through giant threads over the past day or so and not really seeing any direct comparisons between the two of these heads tone wise. One did have a "The little Mark sounded better for some reason"... but not extremely helpful... the placement of the EQ's in the frequency range are slightly different, but everyone is talking about how very little, if any actual EQing is necessary..

I am going to go try both out today to see any differences in tone.

But I suppose it comes down to this...

Do I get the Little Mark II, use it while my gear allows it, and later sell the Little Mark and take a bit of a hit on resale, and then buy the SD800, or should I buy now the best I can afford, the SD800?

Obviously if I get there and try both and one sounds hideous (haha) then that is that... but I don't expect that from either:p

Insight?

Thanks TB.

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    If you plan on getting the 800 anyway and can afford it, I would go ahead and do that IMO

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My opinion is that both those amps sound pretty much identical, but the SD 800 is a little more deluxe and higher wattage. Depends on how important the higher wattage and deluxe features are to you. They meant nothing to me so I went with the LMII. But they obviously mean something to others, and that's why they own an SD 800.

In other words, only you can answer your own question.

4. He's just making us jealous because he's getting a new amp and we're not:bawl:

5. Leaning that way for the most part. We'll see when I get there.

Bass talks can always be so deep xD

:bag:

As always Thanks guys!

6. wildcard

wildcard Guest

+1

7. wildcard

wildcard Guest

+1 again