Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another "which order in chain" question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smitcat, Jan 5, 2005.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I am wondering, what is the best order to put these pedals in? And why? I know that some things need to be in a certain order, but i don't quite understand why.my pedals are
    SansAmp bddi
    Bass Compactor
    Boss tuner pedal
    Aphex big bottom
    DOD envelope

thanks for any help

2. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Okay, I'll give this a try...

Tuner > Compactor > Big Bottom > Envelope > SansAmp

The tuner needs to go first to get an accurate pitch from the bass. Compressors generally go at the front of the chain (although some people do it differently). I'm not sure about the Big Bottom, since I've never used one, but I'm guessing it's basically an aural exciter (similar to a BBE Maximizer or something like that). Honestly, I would try this both directly after the compressor and also at the end of the signal, to see which works best for you. The order of envelopes/wahs and distortion/overdrive/fuzz is a matter of personal preference. I generally like fuzzes before envelopes and overdrives or distortions after. Again, try it both ways, but with the DOD unit you'll probably have better luck getting it to trigger with it placed before the SansAmp. Again, you might try the Big Bottom at the end, which might beef up the envelope when you have it engaged.

There's no right or wrong way to do it, it's just whatever sounds best to your ears.

Have fun experimenting! :bassist:

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Unless you're only doing a little limiting with the compactor, you'll probably want to keep that after the envelope filter if you're planning on using them at the same time. Else the compressor doesn't leave enough envelope in the signal to trigger on!

It's probably a good idea TO use the compressor after the envelope anyway, because the filter - especially if it's a 'high-Q' type, can tend to throw your output level around.

Also - if you're using the Sansamp for distortion, it'll make a pretty big difference on the distortion sound depending on whether the compressor is before or after it. Before will be more 'synth-y' and after will tend to be more 'vowel-y'. I always run compression before distortion.

Joe

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I never thought of that - I wonder how many guys have put a tuner after a chorus, and then wonder what's wrong sometimes.

Joe

5. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i have always had my tuner first, but i was looking at peoples pedal boards and some seemed to be in the middle or elsewhere. That was why i was wondering how important the order was

6. also if you're using your sabddi as a DI it needs to go last... unless you don't want the crowd to hear the effects!

7. I run my TU2 tuner at the end of my chain, mainly so that I can stop the sound completely and suddenly when required. Also means that between songs, with a noisy dist. pedal ahead, I can mute the signal and not have the buzz that can be inherent with some distortions when not playing.

Only problem with running a tuner after a DI product is that you lost the ability to mute the whole signal through the DI (if it's being used).

You really shouldn't be tuning with any effects on anyways.