1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another "which replacement speaker" for 1x12...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, May 20, 2011.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    SO I have this old SWR Working Man's 12 combo which I turned into a 1x12 cabinet with a horn crossover. The original Celestion K12T-200 speaker is less than great, and I'll be looking to replace it with something than can handle some power. I really wanted to get a Deltalite 2512, but since those speakers cost about $230 each now, might not be worth it.

I also use another 1x12 that DOES have a 2512 in it already, and I guess I'd really like to get a speaker for the SWR that matches the 2512 in output, sensitivity and frequency response....if such a thing exists....or should I just get a 2512?

The SWR is on top, the 2512-loaded cab is on bottom.

P1040781.

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It's a different spec'd box, isn't it? It won't sound the same with the same driver...

This should work fine for little money:

Eminence Delta 12LFA speaker. The Eminence Delta 12LFA is a 12" 8 ohm speaker. Delta-12LFA is a 500 watt RMS 12" woofer with extended Xmax.

3. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    So you turned a combo into a cab? The 12 used in the workingman is a lower line Celestion because of the power requirements of the head. I believe that is just a 100 watts RMS speaker 8ohm that you are replacing. A more powerful speaker such as you want may have drastically different porting, volume and tuning requirements, for optimal quality. If the speaker is functional have you considered reconnecting it to the combo head, selling the combo and purchasing a 112 cab that will perform better for your needs. I would imagine the money netted from the combo in conjunction with the money you were planning on spending on the speaker would end up being close to equivalent to just buying a new cab.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Delta Pro 12 is the ceramic equivalent of the 2512, or at least close enough to it, and works well in small cabs. It weighs twice what the 2512 does, costs $40 less, $115 versus $155 at speakerhardware. com.

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    just for giggles, I switched speakers in both cabs. Put the celestion into the Avatar cab and put the 2512 into the SWR cab. Each speaker sounded really good in opposite cabs. I'm sure the SWR cab's intenal volume isn't that much different than the Avatar's...there is no bracing or internal shelving in either of them. Both are rear-ported as well; Avatar has two smaller ports, the SWR has one large port.

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Bill, looking at the Delta Pro 12's specs, it seems that Eminence rates the speaker to have a much higher resonant frequency (51 Hz) than the 2512 (37 Hz), and the lower end of the usable frequency range is higher (52Hz - 4.5kHz vs. 48Hz - 4kHz for the 2512). Would this really mean much when loaded into a cab like this? I know that things change once loaded into a cab, but with these higher frequency ratings, would the Delta Pro perform any less admirably for bass guitar than the 2512?
    thanks

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    There at over a dozen specs that must be considered, at least five of them critical. One spec alone don't mean diddly.

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I think I know what you're saying....

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    In the same cab the response of the 2512 and Delta Pro 12 are within plus/minus 1dB of each other. You can't hear plus/minus 1dB.
    Comparing only the Fs is like comparing two cars based only on horsepower. There's a lot more to be considered.

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I picked up a Delta Pro 12A from a local eminence retailer in The Bronx. Their site advertized it for $109.99, he gave it to me for $95 even just like that. Pretty cool!

I have to say that it does sound VERY much like the 2512. It's just a pretty bad-assed speaker. Now the 2 cabs together sound very appetizing.