Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another which string ?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by shackman, Nov 2, 2002.

1. well i know you all wanted to see another which string for my bass thread, so i thought i would help everyone out. no for real sorry, but im too poor to risk going out on a limb so i wanna be close when i choose. I have a Vienna Basses Munich from Jim Laabs, which ive had for a year now and am really, really happy with as a first cheap bass. I have it strung with Spirocores Orch. I like the sound and cant complain, but its time for new strings says my teacher. Under recent reading a i saw somethingn about if your skin is oily it will wear out the strings faster. I have extremely oily skin and have also been lazy and moreso ignorant about wiping off the strings so im sure they are dead. I played my teachers bass with Obligatos and like them so thats one option. I could go with Spirocores again but i wanna try something new and didnt like them for bowing, but i dont play arco much. Can i have some feedback about Pirastro Jazzers please. I also like the sound of Larry grenadier who uses velvets, but would it be worth getting more expensive strings on my cheaper bass. ANy advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Mike
    www.spookyjohnson.com

2. perhaps if anyone could compare the obligato which ive played and like with the Jazzer and the Corelli 370 which are the other 2 im thinkn about.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I can help you with two in your list.

The Obligatos and Corelli 370s are far apart in sound. The Obligatos pretty succesfully aim for the gut flavor, and have a "thuddier" response, a much blunter attack. The Corellis are thinner strings and have a sharper attack, and are more articulate; brighter, especially when new, but mellow with age. They are lighter gauge and more flexible than the Obligatos.

I had (and have) Corelli 370s on my Kay; I put a set of Obligatos on after a recommendation from a friend, and they just weren't my cup of tea. The sound is pleasing, but I didn't like that I was working so hard to try and get an "edge" to the notes, something they just don't have. However, that's a character that many other bassists are very happy with.

All my opinion, everybody has one. ;)

4. I used to be Spirocore user.
    However, I just have a chance to try Jazzer E and A on my 7/8 old German plywood bass last week. As far as I can tell, Jazzers' tone is getting close to Spirocore, growl and robust. But, Jazzers is more fundamental and rounder. IMO, Jazzers is more bowable than Spirocore. However, I feel Jazzer has a few more tension than Spirocore weich on my bass.

Currently, I put Obligato G and D. For E and A, I go for Flexocore med. And I am happy with this mixed match set. Obligato gives me a gut like tone and Flexocores provide a deep warm tone.

5. im thinking about going with Obligatos just because my teacher is using them and they feel great. I keep reading the comments of the weak E string. what about combining the Jazzer E maybe even A with the G and D of the Obligato. how would that work as they are different materials?

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Just put them on and see what they do. If the E string is lame then look into other strings...

7. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I'v found that the jazzers are really, really bad for bowing

8. well i ordered Obligatos for the G and D, and then I got Jazzers for the A and E. I just hope I dont regret choosing and mixing those, since I am a poor student and will have to deal with them even if I dont like them. We'll see.. Thanks for your advice.

Mike
    www.spookyjohnson.com
    www.mp3.com/spookyjohnson

9. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Shack: as a poor student you could cope with the Spiros another couple of years... but as a soundwise unsatisfied bassist you have to do smthg without any delay.
    Maybe a better compromise would be to change only the G & D ?