Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another "which to upgrade first" thread. Custom bass or effects ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Doryan, Sep 8, 2002.

1. custom bass

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. multi-fx pedal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wich should I purchase first, and perhaps even stick by ?

If I want one custom build, it would especially be for tapping.
    Or should I get a multi-fx so I can several fx, like enhancer, delay and stuff to improve my tapping sound ? (I'm a pianist wannabe :D )

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Effects are a lot less useful than people think, imo. Some people like to dink around with them for fun, but the fun usually dies out after a while. YMMV

Have you considered a production-made bass? That will generally be cheaper than a custom, and you can find them used.

3. I have, the yamaha rbx 370, the best one I ever played. Really love that bass, rather then an expensive Fender, Musicman or Warwick.

But now I want it to take it a step further.
    So which step: custom bass, or experiment with fx?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    No doubt, the bass. Effects are effects, but the bass is your INSTRUMENT. Effects are waaay down on the list of things I would worry about as a bass player.

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    BASS!!!!!! Definately. I own no effects at all. I used to have a multi effects unit but i sold it when the fun wore off. I still have every bass i have ever bought though.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And there are custom builders working a lot cheaper than they used to with the economy in the toilet like this.

I'm having one built for about $1200 that would have cost $3500 just a couple of years ago.

Hippie sandwich 5-string with Bartolini soapbars WooHoo!

7. Definitely the bass.

I neither own nor have I ever found the need for effects. No doubt fx are useful on occasions but the bass is the top line importance.

IMHO, of course.

John

8. My luthier asks about 2500 € (about the same in $). :(
    So that setted my a little back to purchase one. And seeking refuge in effects.
    But the basses and guitars he build are very good some say. So if he build one especially to my taste it's bound to be awesome, and beautifull too.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think you're not asking your core question - "Or should I get multi-fx to hide the crappy tone of my bass?"

A polished turd is always just a shiny turd. Good, fundamental, tone is where all great sound begins.

10. Yep you're probably right.

Although my tone isn't exactly crappy, but it could improve. I just thought that some effects (not used radically) could improve the tone, like a little enhancer, eq, preamps and stuff.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They could improve the tone, especially something like a Sansamp Bass Driver. But in the final result, it's like an ugly woman who uses a ton of make-up to make herself look better;

- they may look okay for that night, but then you wake up in the morning and have to face what they really look like :eek: